March 28, 2024, 09:34:41 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Weight Loss

Started by luise.volta, January 07, 2013, 01:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

Since it's a new year, I thought I would post the number of pounds I have lost and my new goal...(since I've reached my original goal of 145 pounds.) Anyone interested can come over to www.MyFitnessPal.com. Several of us are over there. I'm "Weegi" to anyone wanting to "friend" me. :-) I started out at 205. I'm 5' 3". Very slow and discouraging process over the next two years. Then, in 2010, I went to MFP at 187 pounds. Today I've set a new goal weight of 135 pounds! Why not?  :D   
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

So proud of you Luise!  You rock!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Hey, you're still the leader of the band, Pooh! I would never found MFP without you and that's what saved me! :-)))

nikncon

Hi Luise.I am 5ft2 and weigh 156.I need to lose 30 pounds.I'll aim for ten for a start.I  will go visit this website.Thanks.Keep up whatever you are doing since it's working very well.Good luck on losing ten more pounds.Hugs.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

luise.volta

elsieshaye

You're doing wonderfully, Luise!  W00t!!
This too shall pass.  All is well.

nikncon

Did you ladies buy the book and website help for $59.95 to help you? It's a video on the fitness pal .The young couple explain how they can help you learn which foods are best for losing weight.I'm interested in knowing if I really need it.

luise.volta

nikncon

Thanks Luise.I have to watch certain foods because in Nov my egfr something to do with my kidney function was 59 which is apparently low.I know that I have to watch my salt intake and lower my bp for starters.Will see a nephrologist when I go home in April.Do any of you ladies know what kinds of foods to eat for chronic kidney disease? I would love some help.Any nutritonists out there?

luise.volta

Not me, Nik! There's lots of stuff on the Web under "Diet for Kidney Disease" like:
[PDF]
Nutrition and Chronic Kidney Disease - National Kidney Foundation
www.kidney.org/atoz/pdf/nutri_chronic.pdf

But...I'd be more inclined to go by my doctor's recommendation.

nikncon

Thanks Luise.This has very good info.I must tested again to make sure that the results of last test is similar.I am still going to try to lose a few pounds in the meantime.I need to anyway.My problem is that DH and I eat out a lot while we are on vacation.

luise.volta

Yes, that can make it harder, Nik. I eat out every night here in the buffet-style restaurant at my retirement center. I had to learn to bring their weekly menu home with me and choose before I went over to supper. If I went there hungry and had to select from three entrees, I would have some of everything...and then go wild at the salad bar! LOL! I learned to decide before going over and stick to it. I often make my choices by using the huge data base on MyFitnessPal to determine caloric content. Some entrees that I like equally, differ a lot in calories. Not that easy to do if you are going from one restaurant to another but/and some of them print out the number of calories in their low-cal items.

I've never been interested in counting calories or in balancing them...as in carb, protein, fats, sodium, etc. What I learned on MFP is the direct correlation between calories ingested and calories burned (via exercise.) I was simplly eating more calories than I was burning. That's how I got to 205 pounds. It's just math. LOL! All of it, both food and exercise, is determined for me on MFP from what I enter. Piece of cake. (Oops!)

Obviously the more I exercise, the broader my food choices can be. That's a great motivator for me because I love to eat! :-) I've learned to walk 1 1/2 miles or more every day, rapidly, (3 mph), and to work out at Curves 3 - 5 times a week. I had to develop new habits and learn to be consistent. It took a while. For me, yo-yo dieting was lethal and ineffective. I had to create a healthy lifestyle and learn my way into maintaining it. It's well worth the effort to have it handled and it's become second nature. It's not rigid and I never feel deprived because I'm in charge. What a relief!

The support I found on MFP has made all the difference. Several of us from WWU joined the same day, 7-28-11, when Pooh shared it with us. Five of us have been there a year and a half already and have become devoted friends in the process. We've also met others there that we have "friended." It's like a family. I'll stay as long as I can type.  :-))

Pen

Nik, so glad you've made the choice to take care of yourself! I'd steer clear of expensive books or tapes right now. There is plenty of info for free (even free workout routines/videos online through YouTube!) & your doctor will also have the info you need. It is possible to do this while eating out, just a bit more difficult. I try to plan ahead & have a strategy. Many restaurants post their menus online which helps a lot. Get used to carrying a little ice chest or chilly bin with ya...we don't leave home w/o water & healthy snacks.

Exercise is key - find a way to get some sort of movement/weight lifting into your routine on a regular basis. The best thing about exercise is adding calories back in, lol! Actually, I now love exercise for many other reasons & the added cals are just a nice perk.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

FAFE

Luise,  If I did not love you so much, I'd probably hate you!!!  Seriously, congratulations.  You are always so inspirational to me.  I did join but sadly do not have much motivation at the moment.  Will try and get it soon.  Everybody, keep up the good work. 

luise.volta

:D :D :DF - I had so many false starts that I lost track of the number. Peace...:-)