April 24, 2024, 06:06:58 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

New Baby for the New Year

Started by Elise, January 02, 2013, 08:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elise

My first grandchild was born yesterday afternoon. Mom and baby are both fine. Only a 12 hour labor, though induced so rather intense.  I already have 2 sets of pictures and heard her cry and then immediately quiet when her daddy ( my ds) walked in the room and spoke to her. He said she turned her head to him at his voice and I could hear his wonder as he related that on the phone to me. The circle of life and this amazing journey through and around it hold moments that take my breath away. I am grateful the New Year is here, and for the new life it has brought into my family.
I expect to visit in a few weeks when summoned to help. They live 1500 miles from me. Until then I will just get used to the fact I now have a new role - grandmother. I once read that love knows no frontier - neither time nor distance, physical or emotional.
My own journey through the last years has been very difficult. There were times I thought  all was lost without the past connection and trust destroyed and all the things so many of us contend with regarding our adult children. Now, well somehow I washed up on new shores, and content myself with love in the moment. Perhaps it is a better way to live after all. I find it is all just enough to my surprise.
I wish all of you a blessed New Year, joy, and many smiles to see you through.

Footloose

What joyful news, Elise!  Blessings and peace to u! 

luise.volta

:D  Congratulations...and...good for you to be taking it all in your stride. You sound wonderful!  :D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Eggshelz1

Elise-you write so beautifully-you are in love again! Congratulations and here's to a happy, healthy New Year for Grandmother and Precious Grandchild and everyone in between!

nikncon

Congrats Elise.What a great way to start off the new year .A new life has given your family new life.Enjoy.)))

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Pooh

Congratulations Elise!  I am a firm believer that love exists even at a distance.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Elise

Thank you all for your good wishes.  It is fun to share this joy. I had a skype call with new baby and ds and dil last night - she is so adorable. She was sleeping on her daddy's chest skin to skin and it was special to see my ds holding his daughter and her holding his finger so tightly.   

Pen

Congratulations, Elise aka Gran! Thanks for sharing this sweet news.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Faith

Many congratulations Elise.  What joyful news. I hope you can get over to visit you beautiful GD soon.
This is such a special time. True love knows no boundaries.

Kate

Congratulations Elise!  It's wonderful to hear of something so positive.