March 28, 2024, 11:40:43 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Me too, I need some MIL advice!

Started by Scoop, December 19, 2012, 02:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scoop

My MIL has always been a terrible gift-giver.  Your present from her really depends on your status in her 'book'.  I've gotten gifts ranging from good to well, nothing. 

We received a package today from the home shopping network from MIL.  It's one of those banana based frozen treat makers.  Now, here's the thing, DD can't eat bananas due to bathroom troubles.  I've explained ths to MIL before.  Ive even told her that there is sometimes blood when DD wipes.  So it's not capriciousness on my part.

I'm trying not to look at this as a deliberate thumbing of her nose at us because we're not going to the IL's for Christmas (it's not their turn).  But it really feels that way.

So, my question, can I refuse this gift based on DD's health?

Scoop

luise.volta

S - Since she knows, I wouldn't do anything. If she asked I would remind her of the problem and ask if she'd like it back. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

DivaGirlDIL

I believe you can do other fruits without bananas. 

Keys Girl

Scoop, I wouldn't ever turn down a gift from anyone.  Ever.  Accept it graciously and remember that you don't have to keep it any longer than a week old old banana.

I would wrap up the gift in a big basket add a bunch of items and drop it off at a day care center, add bananas, food colouring, some colourful cups and plastic spoons, a bag or two of ice and they can have treats in between Christmas and New Years.  Take a photo of the basket in case the MIL asks where how you are enjoying it.  Remind her about the bananas issues so this was the next best solution, not to let it go to waste.

Take an extra photo with you and everyone else with big smiles and the basket and don't show her that one, keep the smiles for yourself.

Take her poor gift giving technique, give it a good twist of your own and turn the - into the +.  Bring your daughter along to enjoy the festivities, kinda like "The Gift of the Magi" by O'Henry with bananas.

"The more the merrier" and the more people (somewhere else) who who enjoy her gift the merrier you'll be.

KG

"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry." Author Unknown

Keys Girl

Forgot to include the suggestion that a shelter for Abused Women and Children would probably enjoy this too.

KG
"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry." Author Unknown

Scoop

I'm just now getting back in the swing here.

We did try the frozen treat maker with other fruit and it was not as tasty as it could be.  The secret is that the 'almost rotten' bananas add a LOT of sweetness and creaminess.  Ah well, we'll keep it and use it 2 or 3 times a year.  DH has thanked his parents for it, but hasn't "admitted" to using it.  (The IL's like for us to "rave" over their gifts.)

They also got us a bunch of other gifts that made us tilt our heads and say "what?"  A kids make-up set for DD.  A Christmas dress for DD.  A purse for me.  A nose-hair trimmer for DH.  (There actually wasn't much for DH.)  These are not "safe" gifts.

DivaGirlDIL

Scoop DH's family gave her a doll.  It says on the box not a toy.  Not for kids under 14.  She tried to tell DH it wasn't the right box.  I looked when they left its not the wrong box.  It's plastic and well the poor artist would probably cringe if they knew a 4 year old has it.