March 28, 2024, 02:07:23 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

This Mother's Day --healing has finally set in

Started by Orly, May 10, 2010, 05:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orly

Well, this year my family was complete here at home.  My oldest son was here on his way to Seattle so I actually did something with one of my sons for Mother's Day (we went to the movies, younger son had to work).  Had a good time watching IRON MAN 2.  Then we were all together for dinner.

Now some background,  my niece was estranged from her mother for a period of years and living in my area for the last three years of her life.  My niece had lots of emotional issues but, we were close those few years.  Her last two children were infants around me.  Then she died by violent means on Mother's Day...I was the person who received notification of her death and had to arrange to go pick up her kids so they were not put into foster care.  It just wasn't a memory one would want to have.  Thank goodness I could do it instead of having that  immediate horror placed on my Sister-in-law (who had to deal with the horrible news from miles away).  The following week was terrible enough.

This year my sister-in-law (her mother) posted a memorial on her facebook for her daughter.  I can finally look at pictures of my niece without my heart dropping out of my chest in pain and tears erupting.  My SIL frankly talked about all the trials and tribulations that her daughter had caused over her life.....but she still has a hole in her heart.  The main thing was, she could talk about it.  Progress is being made for the both of us.  Yes, we both get that clutch in our hearts and we still have odd times of sudden grief....but we are healing. 

Thanks for letting post a bit on this subject.  It helps to just let the universe know she was here for a time and she isn't forgotten.

elsieshaye

I'm glad for you and your SIL that you were able to talk and support one another, and that you had a good Mother's Day.

(I hereby subtitle Iron Man 2 "The Official Movie of Mother's Day 2010" - I saw it too, as did several of my friends who are moms.  :) )
This too shall pass.  All is well.

luise.volta

Orly - what a tough Mother's Day memory. How sad to lose someone so young and so close to you. It sounds like there is a lot more to the story...(that we don't need to ask about)...that has made it even more difficult. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

cremebrulee

Orly, you are a very special woman...and you always send out very positive thoughts...in that, believe and know, (as you probably already do) that this girl's memory and spirit will always be alive within you all..I'm so sorry you and sister-in-law had to deal with this...nothing can replace a life...I believe she is in a better place...a place which we all could never even begin to fathom...and it is us who suffer the loss of someone we love...especially someone so young...I hope the children are doing well....thank God for you...

sending out big hugs and prayers your way....

Creme

Hope

Orly,
You have my deepest condolences for your loss.  I am mortified to hear that this happened.  My heart also goes out to her children and your sil.  I hope the children are in good hands.  It sounds like some healing is taking place for your sil to be able to open up more about it through facebook.  You are all in my thoughts.
Hope

Marilyn

Orly,extending heart felt smpathy to you and your sil.
I'm so glad you had all your family together this Mothers day,and healing has begun.

Sending love,prayers and a hug