April 19, 2024, 12:56:05 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Grandparents rights

Started by Mokatay, December 10, 2012, 06:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mokatay

Here I am again, just when I thought I was beginning to get over some of the hurt. As some of you may recall, last year my DD evicted me after being grannynanny for 4 years when I confronted her about the mistreatment of her kids by her new beau(now her fiance) and herself. I have stayed in the area, found work and have been working on my goal of creating a safe place in case it is needed by the children. Yesterday, I went to Costco for some reason, nothing really needed, but I ran into my old neighbor from the neighborhood where I was caring for the kids and she asked if I had heard what happened to my grandson. I cringed as I said no, please tell me. It turns out he had run away from home, about 3 miles away, walked to the old neighborhood and knocked on doors looking for someone to talk to. One neighbor called the police and I guess he said his mom had been mean to him and they returned him home. I was so disappointed that I am not in the system to be alerted if something happens to these kids, especially after I contacted CPS in the beginning.Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to make sure they are safe, I am not allowed to speak with them by their mother so I cannot even make sure they have my phone number. Do you think the police would have notified CPS?  I am trying to not blow this out of proportion, but this an 8 year old boy wandering around looking for someone who will be nice to him, I am grateful nothing bad happened to him, and for the kind neighbors who helped him. It is so hard when you feel you need to protect your grandkids from your own daughter, I just want to know they are safe. Thanks, for any suggestions, I value the wisdom here.

Keys Girl

Mokatay, I remember your posts.  Congratulations on getting work and working towards creating a safe place for the children.

I'm glad your grandson is not wandering around, this is a worrysome situation.

My only advice is to try to find out if the new beau has a criminal record or any record of mistreating children.  You could probably find out a lot about him from the net if you have any information about him.  I'm not sure what you can do with it, but I think if there is a way to do a little research (without anyone knowing) that wouldn't hurt. 

I'm not sure if it is a good idea to talk to CPS and/or the Police, I suspect they would notify your daughter and she might get even more angry.  Tough call.

It's apparent that your daughter doesn't want you in the loop.  The children probably want you in the loop and that would make her even more angry. 

I think the most important factor is to keep doing what you are doing, keep on working and feathering that new nest.  I'll keep you and the children in my prayers that a better set of circumstances for you and them is not far down the road.

KG

"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry." Author Unknown

Pen

I'll be thinking of you and your GC. Best wishes on continuing to create a haven for them & for you. You're in a tough spot; but I think KG is right in suggesting you quietly start digging into the BF's records if possible.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb