March 28, 2024, 05:41:28 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Totally ripped off and kicked to the curb , Suggestions anyone?

Started by woolovereyes, November 19, 2012, 02:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammie

Your situation sounds complex. Perhaps you should consult an attorney before you move forward.  If you financed the loan and they are not making payments maybe you could foreclose and get the house back.  What you suggest with gifting could destroy them financially along with any chance of reconciliation down the road.  I know you hurt and are angry but there are better ways to feel empowered.  Some of us have drawn new Wills omitting estranged children.  But that is not permanent and can be changed at any time prior to our death. 
Change the changeable, accept the unchangeable, and remove yourself from the unacceptable.   
~ Denis Waitley ~

woolovereyes

They didnt have a penny to their name when they came, however I had a 3 story victorian, almost 100 yrs old, with slate roof and "gingerbread" over an hr away from our farm.  Old houses like that need maitenance and work. It did have ( courtesy of me ) a whole new HVAC throughout.  The "agreement" was to fix it up- repaint it and live in it, until the economy turned around. That way - I didnt have an empty house for ppl to break into to steal the copper ( a nationwide epidemic )  in turn - since they would be paying ALOT of $$ to rehab the house? It was ONE balloon pmt- when sold,  and ZERO interest- basically no mortgage .* because they were supposed to fix it up and sell it.   They got their hands on it, did some repairs, stayed for 14 mos, and then turned it into a rental and split for a state 1000 miles away.   They now get 1K a mo. +/-  to "supplement" their income , while until the house sells, ( NEVER ) I get nothing. They did to "comply" put it on the market - with a sign in front of it, while the renters live there, HOWEVER ? they put SOOOOOOOOO HIGH a pricetag on it, it is NOWHERE in the market price for what it is/ and the work that still needs to be done. Technically circumventing anything legal..and QUITE intentional.  So, yes, I am ticked. and No, I dont really care if it screws up their life, cause apparently they care NOT that they have screwed up mine.  Sorry,   but your right, some things just are not "repairable". I am beginning to think this is one of them.

woolovereyes

PS .. they are already out of the will, I redid it, omitting them and giving the entirety of farm and life ins, to the dutiful Daughter I have.

JaneF

Welcome here, but so sorry there was a reason you needed to come here.  All I could think of when I read your post was, wow.  I know what you mean about how it can be such a surprise when our kids seem to be heartless!  I too did not raise mine in that way.  Sometimes it seems they have zero conscience doesn't it?  I am glad I am not like that, I don't know how a person lives with himself when they are like that.  Blessings to you.  I know there are a lot of wise ladies here that give axcellent advice and support.  J

woolovereyes

Awww.. thanks.  Sad that I really do miss the kid I "had", but really not wanting to just keep being a doormat. Pretty much figured it is highly obvious they have no regrets whatsoever in using me and then going on their merry way. That being said, I really see no reason to extend the olive branch to ppl that make me miserable- apparently on purpose. Agree tho' that it is a sad situation all the way around.