March 28, 2024, 04:19:00 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Favorite recipes for celebrations/holidays, 2012 edition

Started by Pen, November 19, 2012, 11:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pen

We dry-brine our turkey since we buy an all-natural (unflavored) bird. This is now our standby, it turns out wonderfully every year:
http://www.latimes.com/features/food/dailydish/la-dd-thanksgiving-recipe-drybrined-turkey-20121116,0,3892634.story

Since we have food allergies (I know, what a pain) I'm making this with GF/CF alterations this year instead of pie. Here's the "regular" version, which is a hit with everyone who tries it:
http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-upside-down-pumpkin-pie-264550

We love these roasted root vegs! http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/oven-roasted-roots-10000000523193/ I throw in parsnips, sometimes halved Brussels sprouts.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

November 19, 2012, 11:54:32 AM #1 Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 03:56:34 PM by luise.volta
Lovely, Pen! I hope others posts yummy stuff here, too. I used to make a dressing that included fresh mango and chopped pecans but that was in my other life.  ;) Now, the extent of my preparations is to be sure not to eat breakfast or lunch...  :D :D  :D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pen

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Lillycache

I have nothing special to offer in the way of Thanksgiving fare...   Just the normal things.  My Mom's stuffing recipe made with bread... not crouton cubes.   Without younger DS... I will be able to add the ground cooked giblets to the stuffing..  He wouldn't touch it knowing there were "guts" in it..... but mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what great flavor they add.    Mashed sweet potatos with marshmallows..   Mashed potates with ooodles of butter ans sour cream whipped in. Gravy,   cranberry sauce..  green beans, corn.. rolls,   and pumpkin pie with a dollop of whipped cream..  All homemade.   Very traditional.. and delish.

Beth 2011

Sounds wonderfully delicious everyone.  I bake sweet potatoes and just eat them with butter and a sprinkle a little brown sugar sometimes.  Last time I made potato souffle you could have walked across the marshmellows... they were hard as bricks.  So I try to keep it simple with the Turkey and dressing and the sides.  I did try a new recipe recently and it was so simple and good.  I got it off line.  The recipe was for a 7 layer taco salad dip.  It really is easy and good for you. I have made it for family and work.  Everytime I make it, there is never any left.  I use the vegetarian refried beans, they seem to have the most flavor.

Pen

I've decided to change the title of this topic to open it up to more traditions. Why limit ourselves when there's a whole world of wonderful, special, celebratory food to be enjoyed?

-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Lillycache

Traditions got me thinking.   Whenever my Mom made a holiday, or special dinner,  she ALWAYS put out celery stuffed with whipped cream cheese.   Mom was a good cook, but nothing was ever fancy and to her I guess that was the height of Hor D'oeuvres... OR  Horses Doovers... as she loved to call them.   lol!!!   So.... Since I will have some celery left over from making the stuffing, I'm going to put stuffed celery on the table in honor of mom.    I guess the point is that it's this time of year that we are most reminded of our loved ones that have passed and just how special they were.... even their stuffed celery..  lol!!..   ok... gonna cry now..  but loving tears.. not sad ones.    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!

Pen

Great story, Lilly.

My DH just now informed me that he has always wanted mashed potatoes with Thanksgiving dinner. My family always roasted the potatoes & yams w/ olive oil, garlic & herbs (early foodies, I guess.) So, this year I'll make some mashed 'taters for DH! Gee, he could've told me 25 years ago, lol.
-- Annie Gottlieb