March 28, 2024, 02:45:28 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Mother's Day

Started by willingtohelp, May 07, 2010, 06:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willingtohelp

For those who may need a little pick me up.

I'm spreading out a virtual table cloth on my virtual table.  This post is open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and cups of coffee.  I'm going to post some stories and other things that I like, and I hope you'll do the same  Consider it a long chat between moms of all ages to say Happy Mother's Day.  We can come and go from here (perhaps to get manicures or chocolate ice cream), but this way, no one is truly alone.   Though we may be on opposite sides of the fence sometimes, we can all agree that everyone here has had an impact on the way we think about things, and in that way they've left a mark on our lives.   So I raise my decaf french vanilla coffee to all of you lovely ladies (and any Martians who have joined :) ). 

willingtohelp

This is one of my favorites for when I fee insignificant:

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed
a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean. 

Approaching the boy, he asked, "What are you doing?"

The youth replied, "Throwing starfish back into the ocean. 
The surf is up and the tide is going out.  If I don't throw them back, they'll die."

"Son," the man said, "don't you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish?  You can't make a difference!"

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish,
and threw it back into the surf.  Then, smiling at the man, he said..."
I made a difference for that one."

It always reminds me that sometimes it's not the whole world I have to change;  I just need to try to make it better one person or one kind act at a time.

Postscript

It's been a busy few weeks, I was out of town for a conference at the beginning of this week, I got back Tuesday night and Dh went on a conference out of town for the remainder of the week, now he is on a course all weekend.  I will have my kids with me but nothing special has been planned for Mother's day because dh has been so busy.  It's ok though because I know the children will make me coffee and let me watch whatever I want to on the telly lol.

Dh is going to take me out for a dinner date and us time, which I think I value more than the mother's day recognition.  We've been so busy and between his work and mine, have barely seen each other for the last 6 weeks.

willingtohelp

At the beginning of our careers, DH and I were working in different cities and travelling alot.  We actually arranged to have about a 6 hour lay over in a city just so we could do dinner and spend some time together.  I totally feel you, and I hope your schedules mesh soon.

RedRose

May 08, 2010, 07:24:22 PM #4 Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 07:47:29 PM by RedRose
Each and every one of you are Mothers and incredible women.  That in itself is a blessing.  I wish you all the strength to continue the journey of motherhood.  Know that it never ends.....and that's a blessing, too.   

Somebody said a mother can stop worrying after her child gets married.
That somebody doesn't know that marriage adds a new son or daughter-in-law to a mothers heartstrings.

Somebody said a mother's job is done when her last child leaves home.
That somebody never had grandchildren.

Somebody said your mother knows your love her, so you don't have to tell her.
That somebody isn't a mother.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY !!

Postscript

MOTHERS

Real Mothers don't eat quiche;
They don't have time to make it.

Real Mothers know that their kitchen utensils
Are probably in the sandbox.

Real Mothers often have sticky floors,
Messy kitchens and happy kids.

Real Mothers know that dried play dough
Doesn't come out of carpets.

Real Mothers don't want to know what
The vacuum just sucked up.

Real Mothers sometimes ask 'Why me?'
And get their answer when a little
Voice says, ' I love you best.'

Real Mothers know that a child's growth
Is not measured by height or years or grade...
It is marked by the progression of Mummy to Mum to  Mother...

The Images of Mother

4 YEARS OF AGE - My Mummy can do anything!

8 YEARS OF AGE - My Mum knows a lot! A whole lot!

12 YEARS OF AGE - My Mother doesn't know much!
14 YEARS OF AGE - My Mother? She wouldn't have a clue.

16 YEARS OF AGE - Mother? She's so five years ago.

18 YEARS OF AGE - That old girl? She's way out of date!

25 YEARS OF AGE - Well, she might know a little bit about it!

35 YEARS OF AGE - Before we decide, let's get Mum's opinion.

45 YEARS OF AGE - Wonder what Mum would think about it?

65 YEARS OF AGE - I wish I could talk it over with Mum.

RedRose

May 09, 2010, 07:03:50 AM #6 Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 07:05:27 AM by RedRose
If roses grow in Heaven, Lord pick a bunch for me, place them in my Mother's arms & tell her they're from me. Tell her I love her and miss her, and when she turns to smile, place a kiss upon her cheek and hold her for a while. Remembering her is easy, I do it everyday, but, there's an ache within my heart that will never go away.

cremebrulee

what a gorgeous thread...thank you ladies, enjoyed reading you all!

isitme?

Happy Mother's day ladies!   ;D

Pen

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb