March 28, 2024, 04:49:11 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Wish me luck everyone!

Started by Scoop, October 05, 2012, 07:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

Great job Scoop!  I know the DD thing wasn't any fun for you, but way to look at the overall picture and see that it was a good visit for the most part.  Yay!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

constantmargaret

Did your little pumpkin get her pie? 

Scoop

She DID get her pie and was VERY happy with it!

MIL was SUPER stressed because her pies cracked.  I thought all pumpkin pies cracked when they cooled?  I told her that NOT ONE of the people coming to dinner was going to say "I'm not eating THAT" because we all love pumpkin pie SO MUCH.  DH suggested she cover it with whipped cream and we joked that whipped cream was the caulking of the baking world and we all laughed.  She was still weird about it though.

constantmargaret

I always thought the crack was to help you choose your half.  :D

Pooh

Ummm.....pumpkin pies aren't supposed to have that crack?  Ruh roh
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

Scoop, I hope your MIL can loosen up a bit.

I'm not going near a discussion of the cracks... ;D
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Doe

Glad it went well, Scoop! 
Turkey on toast sounds delish!

Scoop

Doe, for turkey on toast, it's just buttered toast, with shredded turkey in a single layer on it, salt & pepper.  It's not fancy, but in my family, that is the usual breakfast after a turkey dinner.  Personally, I'm convinced it's because we were just so pleased to have ACTUAL butter.

For many years, when I requested turkey on toast for breakfast at the IL's (it was no extra work for them, the leftover turkey was already out), they would NOT accept the fact that I ate it just like that.  It was always "are you sure you don't want mustard?"  .... "well, what about mayonnaise?"  This happened time and again, for many, many years.  To me, it was an indication that my MIL never bothered to learn what I liked.  So this was the first time, in 15 years, that my MIL made something (okay, saved some turkey) that was just because she knew I liked it.  And I have to say that I was impressed.

Doe

Ahh...I see. 
fwiw, I imagined it with a little gravy on top  (mouth watering for some turkey now...)
And kudos to your MIL!  She's a little slow, but coming around!   :D

pam1

I'm glad it worked out, Scoop!  And happy you got your traditional after TDay breakfast.  My folks did turkey on toast for breakfast too, it was open faced but with the extra gravy on top. 
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift