March 28, 2024, 11:41:41 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Holiday Ideas 2012

Started by Pooh, October 09, 2012, 01:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

Since I'm on a roll this week finding crafts and such for all my various events, I had to share something I ran across.  I don't know if it works yet, but there were many people that swear that it works and that it is the best ever.

Thought I would share before I forget it!

They said to take an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk, peel off the label and fully submerge it in water, in a crock pot, on low for 8 hours.  Take it out and cool it in the frig.  They swear it turns it into the best caramel in the world!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Doe

OMG - this is so good. Caramel pie.  My ex step mom used to make this by cooking it on low for several hours.  I think there's a warning about the can exploding but she never had a problem with it. 

Another recipe, maybe everyone knows this but I didn't, is a can of sweetened condensed milk and a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips melted together makes great fudge.  Add some orange extract...

Pen

I think it's a Mexican specialty, at least my dad remembers it from spending time there as a boy. Great with toasted coconut flakes too. Yum!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

I've got to buy a candy thermometer.  I have tried and tried to make fudge but it never sets up.  I just can't get the cook time/temperature right.  I blame it on my Mother.  She makes probably 20 different kinds of fudge and just "knows" how long to cook it.  When I told her to give me an idea how long it was, her answer...."Just keep stirring until it erupts like little volcanos".  FOREHEAD SLAP
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Doe

With this fudge, there's no thermometer - just melt it all together.  I grew up with "soft set" tests and grainy fudge but this is smoooooooth.

I'm curious how the caramel sets for you - I remember the pie being a wee bit soft.

Pooh

I'll have to try that then to see if I can finally have a fudge you don't have to eat with a spoon.

I hadn't thought about using it in a pie.  I usually buy the bags of caramels and melt them to use in cookies and cakes, so if it's soft, then even better. :)
Joseph Campbell

pam1

Ooooh, I like that caramel idea.  I need some easy things to make this year, this is going on my list.  We get a lot of fudge from the neighbors for holidays, so my secret fudge recipe is Mrs. B's from next door....she gives so much I bring it to parties!  Whatever she does, she has people raving over it.  It's not too sweet.  I'll ask for her recipe when I see her next.

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift