April 23, 2024, 11:36:10 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

the final slap in the face

Started by Kate, September 11, 2012, 02:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate

After 2 years of silence, my younger son has finally blocked me from Facebook, probably because I posted the joyous news of his brothers impending fatherhood.  I knew this was a possibility when I posted the news, and made the decision not to walk on eggshells anymore, so why does this hurt so much? 

My DH, normally so understanding, doesn't understand why I'm so upset.  I don't understand why I'm so upset, I predicted this happening, knew in my heart that it would happen.  But it hurts, you know?  The last thread cut, the final hurrah, the final slap in the face.  From now on, I'll have no news of where he is, what he is doing, and most of painful of all, how my granddaughter is doing. 

It's hard not to think I must have been a terrible parent.  The irony is that my elder son and step daughter tell me I'm lovely, and my DIL told me this morning she is so lucky to have me as a MIL. 

Sometimes the world doesn't make any sense. 

pam1

Big Hugs, Kate.  You're right, sometimes the world just doesn't make sense.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Doe

Sometimes it would be nice to live in a culture where it's ok to wail and scream for a while.  I feel for you, Kate, and also hate, hate, hate that Facebook has such power in our lives.

Pen

If it wasn't FB it would be something else, IMO. People who want to divide or cut off a family will find a way.

Not that I'm defending FB, mind you. When FB is used for power plays it can be very hurtful & destructive. When it's used to build or maintain relationships it can be great. But you've got to be ready to swim w/the big fish...I'm not there yet. I know I'm missing out on a lot since it's assumed that everyone is on FB so no one calls, texts or emails anymore! I'm practically a hermit, lol.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

themuffin

So sorry Kate.   :(  But may I say that I'm soooo proud of you!!!  What you did was strong, and positive and actually a major step in the right direction.  You cut the puppet strings and set yourself free.  You knew the consequences, although I know you had hoped in your heart of hearts that you would be wrong.  It hurts.  But remember you did NOTHING wrong.  You posted that his brother is going to be a father!!!!   ;D ;D  That is wonderful news and you should be allowed to share it.

Don't think you did anything to deserve this.  So many of us here have thought the same, but thanks to this WONDERFUL sight we know better! We have also been taught by Dearest Luise that you cannot make sense of the senseless.

You have a loving DH and a elder son and stepdaughter that love you... and there is a baby on the way! ;D  Live life free of the eggshells and enjoy those around you!  ;D

Sending hugs!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Kate

Thank you all so much for your support.  Facebook was the one connection I had left with him.  We never commented on each others posts, but every now and again he would post something about his daughter, and that was precious to me.

I did some wailing and crying but I'm done with that.  There is nothing more he can do to me now.  These boots are not made for walking on eggshells any more  :)

Pen

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Keys Girl

Good for you!  It's a tough road to walk, but you have the right boots!

KG
"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry." Author Unknown