March 28, 2024, 06:04:06 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Evangelizing

Started by Doe, August 23, 2012, 10:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doe

I understand the reason behind not sharing personal religious/spiritual viewpoints on this forum but it strikes me at times when people share their psychological theories, it's similar to evangelizing.   Especially when it's written out as "this is what you should do, and this is what you did wrong according to my therapist" kind of thing.  Does anyone else get that feeling?

Elise

I agree Doe.  I think as long as we try to be vigilant in our posts and offer 'possible' interpretations or 'possible' ways to handle situations or limit ourselves to how we encountered something similar and what worked for us, we avoid the evangelizing aspect. Otherwise it comes off as judging and that is so not what we are  about here. Perhaps the difficulty comes in when a post hits a 'hot' button for the reader and we might all better help each other by taking our time responding and reading what we have written before hitting the post button, so as not to come off as  'preachy'. Thanks for pointing this out.

luise.volta

August 23, 2012, 12:03:07 PM #2 Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:07:28 PM by luise.volta
My take is that we all express differently and some of us are inclined to be pretty convinced we're right...(and even trigger-happy.) The option here is always to "Take what you want and leave the rest." I agree that there are endless belief systems beyond those involving religion. And there are probably just a many people who want to bring others around to their way of thinking. 
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Doe

Yah, I understand Luise.  I used to go to a mom's group when my kids were little and enjoyed the mom to mom sharing, sort of like the over the back fence support that women used to do.  Then the local psychologists got wind ofitand started doing presentations and the whole spirit of the place changed.  I appreciate when the moderators remind everyone that we aren't professional therapists.  And glad you agree, Elise.    I can't believe it took me ten minutes to type this on my cell phone!

luise.volta

Ten minutes, D.?! I know I have to get one of those thingies...but I keep putting it off...I'm so digitally impaired!

Lillycache

This is a real sensitive topic for most of us.  We can often find ourselves getting "preachy" when talking about things we feel strongly about.

Doe

Quote from: luise.volta on August 23, 2012, 12:32:21 PM
Ten minutes, D.?! I know I have to get one of those thingies...but I keep putting it off...I'm so digitally impaired!

They're just computers with tiny screens.   I want an IPad one day - I call them IPods for Seniors!

luise.volta

I got Kirk and iPad for his birthday a year ago. He loves it. I wonder if that's what I want and need? Better than an iPod. I had an iPod Shuffle for fast music to walk to everyday. Kirk gave me a grander one but I don't have the heart to tackle it. (Yeah, I know I hijacked with the topic...again...darn!)

SCW

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I personally hope if I get preachy or sound like I know it all, that someone would call me out on it.  I know better then anyone that I certainly do no Know it All.

Besides , I have people all around me who actually do think they know everything about everything, so concessions is my middle name.  I will gladly allow anyone to think they win :o)  deep in my heart, I have.
We also deem those happy, who from the experience of life, have learned to bear its ills and without descanting on their weight.
Junvenal

luise.volta

It's hard to do but what works best is for everyone to try not to state their beliefs as facts and to try to ignore it when others do. Most members are careful about calling each other on "what doesn't work" and that's as it should be. Our Global Moderators are on board for that. They can suggest, reprimand, lock and even remove posts. It's sometimes hard to "take what you want and leave the rest"...but members have the "Report to Moderator" option, as well. When we find someone missusing WWU we step in "for the good of the order." Are we complete on this? It feels to me like we are.

Pooh

I'm good with it because everyone here is aware that I am always right.  ;D
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

elsieshaye

This too shall pass.  All is well.

luise.volta

OK, now that we have that strainghtened out, I think I can lock this one.  ;)