March 28, 2024, 03:52:14 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Quitting Smoking

Started by Paca, August 07, 2012, 11:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paca

August 07, 2012, 11:17:16 AM Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 04:20:02 AM by luise.volta
Luise, I so wish I knew you irl, but this is the next best thing for mothers hurting. Thank you. Any plans for a chat room?

I found my way here after reading some other question answer site that had the link. It was your question answer site and said so much.

Off topic and not saying do or don't, each is different and mine was not good.

I smoke, shamefully, but tried chantitx and ended up in the ER the other night. Good that my dh noticed big behavioral,personality changes, bad that it happened. It's not the same for everyone and since I smoke I can say anything that helps if you want to stop is good. Just heed warnings on some stuff? Lol

Reba

Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts. It's what you do with what you have left. ~Hubert Humphrey
Peace and Love R

Didi.lost

Oh Paca, I tried the pills to quit smoking, didn't work for me either, was sick.  I did find that the Nicotine Patch really worked for me. 
Unfortunately my DD ended another relationship just as before but had a little one this time, so I am weak and started smoking again.  I know not her problem that was my mistake.

luise.volta

August 07, 2012, 08:22:54 PM #3 Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:24:37 PM by luise.volta
I quit smoking hundreds of times; thousands! I started when I was 13. (Very precocious!) I quit every night when I went to bed.  :(  When it finally worked was when I remarried. (Several back. LOL!) My guy told me that he loved everything about me except my smoking...because he had quit years earlier. He told me that he would start again and after he was fully hooked...would quit with me, if I was willing. (Ain't love grand?) So he he did and I did and that was 45 years ago! I didn't even start up again when he wandered off with someone else 15 years later.  :)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Lillycache

I usually just smoke in the summer.  There is nothing more enjoyable than sitting out on the patio with a cup of coffee in the morning, or a glass of wine in the evening and enjoying a smoke.   As soon as the weather gets too cold for that, I'm done smoking for the year.  This year It's been too hot to enjoy even  that, and it was getting to me, so I stopped last Sunday.  I will probably resume next May but maybe not. 

Pooh

I tried the pills and had horrific nightmares, which made me want to smoke! Lol.  I did try the patch, and it was working wonderfully and I really could have quit on it, except due to my autoimmune skin condition, they were leaving huge welps and sores on me. Not the patches fault, it's this stupid disease, so I had to stop them too.

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

pam1

My husband just got a prescription from Chantix, I really hope it works out for him.  I've heard so many horror stories about it. 

I'm going to try the electric cigarette and patch together :)  Probably not until school starts for DD.  Wish me luck!
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pooh

I think the stats are something like 50% don't have the nightmares, so he stands a good shot.  I tried the electric cigarette a couple of years ago, but it made my throat hurt after about a week on it.  The patches really did work and that's probably your best bet.  If it wasn't for the sores, and like I said, not normally a problem for people, I really wasn't having a rough time on them, they were working great.  My MD said it was due to my disease, as I have never been allergic to anything like that and now even a bandaid will leave a huge sore on me. 

I have my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

SCW

I tried quitting so many times during the 27 years I smoked.  One time for a year and a half.  I tried everything from patches to lozenges to a combination to cold turkey.  With my neurological problems and a problem with another medicine that cause suicidal thoughts, I didn't want to go down that road.  Each time I would begin again due to some type of stress from my job, kids, ex or husband or health problems. 

It will be two years this October that I bought and chewed my first piece of gum.  I never thought I could use it, because I have such painful TMJ, but I was at my wits end.  I really did not follow the directions, I just chewed when I needed a fix.  I realized after a month or so that I had been gradually weaning myself off of it, subconsciously.  I am happy to report that I am smoke free and have no real desire to have a cigarette anymore.  Sure there are times I think I would like to light up and wonder how that would feel, but the thought lasts at most 20 seconds.

It is absolutely true, you have to really want to and be ready to quit.

Good Luck to those who are trying!  You are worth it! <3
We also deem those happy, who from the experience of life, have learned to bear its ills and without descanting on their weight.
Junvenal

JaneF

Hello ladies.  I do know the difficulty with smoking and quitting first hand.  I too used to smoke.  I did quit for a year here and there, and once for 3 years...then started again  DUH.  I am happy to say I quit 7 years ago and did not use the pills or the patch.  It can be VERY rough at times as you know when a craving hits.  I just decided that seeing my dad on oxygen and breathing at 4 percent of lung capacity and stuck to being bound to home forever...was not what I wanted for myself.  My husband used to smoke heavily as well, but we had gone to classes to help with stopping and he has not smoked for about 22 years.  It can be done but it is hard.  I wish you all the very best in what you are trying to do.  I'm pulling for you.  J