March 29, 2024, 02:35:23 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

How do I get through shower and wedding?

Started by sjmom, August 06, 2012, 03:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

Quote from: Lillycache on August 08, 2012, 11:55:56 AM
Quote from: Grammie on August 08, 2012, 11:31:17 AM
My DIL called me Mom from day one.  She was always sweet to me and we got along great.  I was invited to go along when she chose her wedding dress.  We went out to lunch to try the food at the restaurant she chose for the rehearsal dinner.  I had a great time at the shower.  Everything was perfect or so I thought!  After 5 years of marriage DH and I are banned from their life.  Go figure!  Seems like the more time that goes by with us respecting their choice to have nothing to do with us the angrier they get.  I can't even keep quiet correctly!

Me neither.   My DIL told me that she was waiting for me to BEG to see the kids.  I was hoping she would be holding her breath while she waited... lol!!

Ha ha ha!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Doe

Quote from: Grammie on August 08, 2012, 11:31:17 AM
My DIL called me Mom from day one.    I was invited to go along when she chose her wedding dress. 

Oh, Grammie - I went along bought the wedding dress!  And I'm in a similar situation today, too.  Thank the Gods that I she didn't want my mom's ring....

Grammie

Doe, just the thought scares me.  I am so glad you held onto that ring!
Change the changeable, accept the unchangeable, and remove yourself from the unacceptable.   
~ Denis Waitley ~

Pooh

I offered mine a $8,000 bedroom set (which she took), a second bedroom set (nothing fancy), a washer and dryer (which she took), a living room and dining room set complete with china cabinet. Then she went off in a tizzy because I wouldn't let her have my cherished grandparents antique bedroom set that was the only thing I wanted to keep out of my entire house. 

Ooooohhh.....my bad!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Grammie

Pooh..... No good deed goes unpunished!  So sorry.  She sounds like a peach!  And what attracted our DSs to such delightful ladies?
Change the changeable, accept the unchangeable, and remove yourself from the unacceptable.   
~ Denis Waitley ~

luise.volta

P - Boy, there's no denying it. You are really hard to get along with!

Pooh

I know I am Luise...I'm working on it.   ;D  Actually, I think I am probably harder to get along with now than I was then because I just don't give a flying flip what she does now.

Grammie, I could tell you what I think it is...but I would get banned!  ;D
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Ruth

Quote from: Pooh on August 09, 2012, 11:50:05 AM
I offered mine a $8,000 bedroom set (which she took), a second bedroom set (nothing fancy), a washer and dryer (which she took), a living room and dining room set complete with china cabinet. Then she went off in a tizzy because I wouldn't let her have my cherished grandparents antique bedroom set that was the only thing I wanted to keep out of my entire house. 

Ooooohhh.....my bad!

Yikes!  I think most of us here were hatched by the same goose.  Did she even leave you the broom to sweep up with, Pooh?

Pooh

Well actually I didn't offer her the broom so that's probably a point of contention too.   ???

Joseph Campbell

Pen

You must have nice stuff. My DIL wouldn't want anything of mine, I'm sure  :D
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

herbalescapes

pooh, i'll solve your problem.  send ME your grandparent's bdrm set then you won't have to deal with it. 

constantmargaret

Y'all can have ALL my stuff because I'M LEAVING!!!

Pooh

Quote from: herbalescapes on August 19, 2012, 12:15:03 PM
pooh, i'll solve your problem.  send ME your grandparent's bdrm set then you won't have to deal with it.

;D
Joseph Campbell