March 28, 2024, 02:27:22 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

What interests you?

Started by Lillycache, July 03, 2012, 03:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firelight

I am a motorcycle momma as well Pooh.  I have a Honda and DH rides a Harley.  Love it!!  We also have very soft spots for animals.  If it weren't for my DH, I'd probably be a foster but I'd fail miserably as I would end up adopting them all!  We have 2 dogs (had 4 at once....that's a handful) and 3 cats.  kitties live outdoor and DH built them a heated kitty condo....it's adorable w radiant heat for winter.  They love it.  Like to do lots of things.  Politics though, I used to write my Senator and Congressperson but I gave up on it.  I got tired of getting "generic" letters and felt unheard.  Politics I avoid with most folks because they tend to cause heated debates.  ha!
Firelight

"When you allow life to flow... without struggle... your Soul is restored."   ~z2z~

firelight

I shared one of my helmet sticker sayings on  my motorcycle helmet under another topic, but I also have this one: 
"I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example!"  all in good humor.  I have lots of different ones.....maybe I'll find one as a tribute to my WW fam....but it has to be positive and really good.  If I find one, I'll share.  Much love ladies!
Firelight

"When you allow life to flow... without struggle... your Soul is restored."   ~z2z~

Elise

If I could do anything I wanted, I would go to Barnes and Noble and buy everybook I want - that would be a lot.  I would also get myself to Africa, rent an open jeep and drive across the Serengeti at high speed with opera blaring on the sound system.  I would see lot of animals in their natural habitat.  Then I would spend the winter in India and stop for a few weeks in Turkey on the way home to see the excavations at Ephesus, see the Hague Sophia church in Istanbul and the markets and see whirling dervishes somewhere there.  Hmmm - haven't thought of all that in a long time.  Feels good to remember a few of my own dreams for a change.

Pooh

Firelight, our favorite ride is the Cherohala Skyway and the Tail of the Dragon. 318 curves in 11 miles on the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway goes one mile high in 15 miles, then you descend for 21 miles.  My favs and on my helmet is two things.  One is a silver dragon after we completed the Dragon for the first time, and the second is a sticker that says, "I only look sweet and innocent".     :D

We bought a 2011 Arlen Ness Victory Vision last year. We actually were just looking at the regular Vision and they made us a deal to buy the limited edition one.  This is our actual bike.  I took a pic of it before they got it down off the stage.

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Lillycache

I like to cook.  Not bake.  I can't bake for the life of me.  It requires too much discipline.   Cooking is different.  You can experiment and not totally ruin things.  You can go by how something feels... or how it looks..  it's very subjective.   Anyway, I decided a few years ago to attempt to master a different cuisine every year.   Last year was Indian.   I have just about every spice known to man.  Once you get the hang of the basic flavorings in the Indian cuisine, you can begin to experiment a little and not measure so precisely.   I also temper it to our palate.  DH and I like a little zing, but some of the Indian food is off the charts spicy.  I cut way back on the hot stuff.

After that I did some Thai experimentation.  It's surprisingly like Indian except more fishy stuff (paste and sauces)  and coconut.  I wasn't that into it. 

My latest cuisine is Greek.  I found the most spectacular Greek market not far from me... SO MUCH STUFF.... I didn't know where to start,  but settled for some oil pack olives, pita and Taramosalada (fish roe in potatos)  I'm determined to try the fresh octopus, but it looks so icky.  I love to eat it, but not sure I want to deal with it raw.  lol!

Grammie

I also have a Beagle mix that I rescued from a shelter in Sept. of 97.  He's pretty rough looking but hanging in there.  He was an adult dog when I got him so I'm guessing his age is about 16 1/2 people years.  He has never eaten clothing but our first Beagle ate a good chunk of a sheet.  This one used to kill mice and just about anything he could catch. Now he prefers his dinner cooked and served in a bowl.

I am interested in politics and currently hold an elected office.  I keep busy around elections for sure.  My regular job is a school bus driver.  I took a few years off when we relocated in 2001 but have driven since 1988.  Before that I was a nurse.  I enjoy sharing Internet games with friends and staying in touch with extended family. 
Change the changeable, accept the unchangeable, and remove yourself from the unacceptable.   
~ Denis Waitley ~

luise.volta

I have always been interested in the inner processes of personal growth; mine of course...but also those I meet. I love observing the paths we all take...and where they take us. I was an avid reader of self-help books and seminars years ago. My interests have been reflected in many career paths...wife and mother, registered nurse, interior decorator, nursery school owner, real estate sales person, and dairy herd tester. My longest job, 13 years, was supervisor of the disability claims department at Aetna Life and Casualty in Seattle. In the last 7 years it has all boiled down to my counseling Website, www.MomResponds.com for which I won the Foss Foundation Award for Senior Volunteerism and this Web-forum, www.WiseWomenUnite.com for which I won the Bank of America Award, also for Senior Volunteerism. My third Web-Forum, www.AgingWithWisdom.com is still in it's infancy. My partnership in all of these has been my son, Kirk., which has brought me deep joy. I didn't start using a computer until I was in my 70s and am self-taught. I love to write and have had my work published locally. For several years, I interviewed the new residents in the retirement cente where I live and published their stories after introducing them to the community. I also enjoy public speaking and have respresented this community on many speaking engagements. My toughest job...and yes, interest, has been care giving my husband over the last 12 years. He will be 101 years old, in two months. Today was a highpoint in my life when one of our members at WWU who lives a long way away...surprised me with a visit! We are also cyber-partners on www.MyFitness.com. For me, I think life began at 60. What came before that was a dress rehearsal. :-)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Scoop

I'm an engineer, so I like to know how stuff works, or why it doesn't work.  I love the internet, because it answers most of my (and DD's) "why?" and "how?" questions.  We don't 'wonder' about anything for long, we just look it up as soon as we can.

For hobbies, I like to do scrapbooking and some sewing.  But I don't so-much like patterns, I like to think of something and design (engineer!) a solution.  I can knit and crochet, but they're more pattern based and so, less enjoyable for me.

We have 4 pets now.  A dog, a cat and 2 guinea pigs (they're new-to-us).  Tell me if this doesn't sound like the BEST Idea ever?  I think we should get a couple of families and do a time-share on the piggies.  By 2 months in, I'm pretty sure the honeymoon will be over (that's how we got them after all).  But after a 2 or 4 month 'rest', I would be willing to take them for another 2 months!  (That being said, I would never do that with a pet that actually gets attached to you, like a dog or cat.)

elsieshaye

Scoop, I crochet, and my tendency is to make it up as I go along, so it's only pattern-based if you follow patterns. 

I like math, and have started taking classes at the community college to refresh myself.  I've got a several-year plan for going back to grad school, but need to take refreshers in some things and also decide the degree path I'm interested in.  Oh, yeah, and I need to figure out how to pay for it, lol.

My hobbies are reading and crafts (cross stitch, jewelry making, crochet), and I have two tuxedo kitties that love to "help" when I craft.  (Their hobbies are sleeping, talking to themselves, boxes, and chasing each other through the house.  My thundering herd of two!)
This too shall pass.  All is well.