March 28, 2024, 04:06:24 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Baby Clothes, etc.

Started by Keys Girl, July 19, 2012, 04:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCW

I have a few things from GM, and DM. I cherish them.  Maybe once they grow older....they will wish they had some of the things, but not many have room for things from their GP, DP, their own and their DC.   Imagine if we kept all of our children's baby items, toy, clothes, etc.  then our parents had all of theirs, GP had theirs......I am sure the Storage industry would explode!  lol

I have a doll baby that was my mothers, she is the kind with rubber face, hands and feet, and over the years that has gotten gooey, she is pretty dirty and I keep her on my dresser.  I have tried to clean her with no luck.  Everyone, and I mean absolutely everyone who sees her says how scary she is!

I also have a TV lamp of a sailboat from GM, I kept out on a Barrister and several years ago the foster kids were playing and knocked it off  :(  It broke, but not irreparable.  The kids I let slide, but behind closed doors, I cried to my DH. (tearing up now thinking about it) I keep it in the china cabinet now. It is the one thing that reminds me of GP, because I saw it every time I visited.

I know these will probably be sold along with everything else I have when I pass.  I still hope that my AC will find something that means a lot to them, to keep. 

Maybe we could have a thread of "The things we cherish from the past"?

We also deem those happy, who from the experience of life, have learned to bear its ills and without descanting on their weight.
Junvenal

Pooh

I see all these things that I go, "Oooh...I'm so going to do that", and then I never get around to it!  I have an antique bedroom set in my guest room.  I saw online somewhere, where they had taken the outfit for each child, with hat, shoes, etc and the little birth card, and bought shadowboxes.  They put all the little sentimental things for each child in the box and then hung them on the wall.  I loved that and I still want to do it, if I ever get my guest room back! Lol.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Lillycache

I learned my lesson with my DIL.  I would never give her anything I held precious if I had it to do over.  When she had the first baby I gave  them the rocking chair I got as a shower gift from my grandma when I had my first.  It was beautiful solid Walnut and quite expensive.  I spent hundreds of hours rocking both my boys to sleep in it and comforting earaches and boo-boos.   I guess my mistake was not saying I wanted it back eventually, but honestly, I thought she would cherish it as much as I and she would pass it on.  Well, first she painted it an ugly green.  Then it was another color... then it was gone.  I never had the heart to make an issue of it.  But it hurt.  I really wish I had never given it to her. 

Pooh

I'm doing the same thing Lilly.  I have the rocking chair that my Mother bought my brother and his first wife when they had their first child.  My Ex Sis-in-law passed it down to me when I had my children.  I'm going to give it to FDIL/YS.  It's in her room now and she asked me about it one time and I told her what it was and that it had rocked all the GC of my Mother, including YS.  She smiled and I told her she could take it with her when she left if she liked and that hopefully she would treasure it as much as I do.  I don't expect it back but I hope she holds onto it and hands it down to her kids someday.  If she doesn't, then I will not feel bad, as it's a gift.  It will actually tell me something for later years on what sentimental things to pass down and what needs to go to someone else.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Grammie

One of the few things I saved from OS was the outfit DH bought after we found out the sex of our new baby.  He wore it home from the hospital.  We gave it to OS/DIL as a shower gift with a nice poem and a framed photo of OS wearing it.  GS also wore it home from the hospital.  I have saved one outfit for YS as well. Now all he needs is a wife!  The rest of the items were donated to a charity. 
Change the changeable, accept the unchangeable, and remove yourself from the unacceptable.   
~ Denis Waitley ~