April 25, 2024, 10:00:54 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Cruise

Started by Smilesback@u, July 19, 2012, 10:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smilesback@u

Grammie, I appreciate your sharing how you are getting on with your own life.  I hear you're in a lot of pain and need time to heal; I am not the happy camper here either.  Some things take forever to change, some things may never change, who knows??  I read on FB yesterday that DIL got a promotion.  I called her, got no answer, so left a message.  Then I called DS to let him know we congratulate his wife's success.  I think that is supportive and I really wish them the best.  I am working on getting my mind wrapped around the idea that I can be happy no matter what happens between us.  A holiday cruise sounds great!!!  I wonder where you will be going on your cruise?  I took one cruise a couple years ago to Eastern Mediterranean that included Turkey and Egypt.  It was very relaxed and I liked all the ports.  We danced, played bridge, used the gym, made friends - it was a blast!  It was on the NCL Jade and a great price for 12 nights.  Bon Voyage!     

Grammie

Smiles, Our cruise is an Eastern Carribean, Princess Cays, Bahamas, St Maarten, St Thomas, and Grand Turks.  I love cruises!  We wanted to do a holiday cruise so we figured no time like the present. We want to go before YS has children.  I won't contact OS again for any reason.  I contacted him a few weeks ago and got a snarky response.  No more!  I hope you have better luck with your DIL! 
Change the changeable, accept the unchangeable, and remove yourself from the unacceptable.   
~ Denis Waitley ~

Smilesback@u

Thanks for the Princess Cruise info.  Have you ever looked into cruise critic for reviews and deals?  I appreciate calling it like it is - snarky, love that word!  I think my experience is teaching me to get over it and look elsewhere for the good times to roll.  Thanks for being here, sending love. 

FAFE

Smiles, I love cc.  We are going on one in November out of Tampa.  We love Holland America, but we're going on a Carnival with some friends.  Got a great deal!  Who are you on CC?  I'm Jean1946.  Don't post much, but read it daily.

Smilesback@u

I use smilesback there too.  Where are you going with Carnival?  I am taking it serious to find a holiday cruise at Christmas with DH. My feelings have been hurt and it seems like I have a lot to learn about not having expectations and making assumptions.  Also I am learning about who will make a commitment and keep it, and who will pitch in for get togethers, whether they call it entertaining or not.  In my view of what normal is, no one would let someone else do all the work, without offering to help, and you always show appreciation for what the other does for you.  Apparently not everyone goes by these assumptions and expectations -- lucky me, now I can focus on Me, Myself and I (oh, and lucky DH)  Not a bad spot to be in, really.  No more excuses, no turning the other cheek, now more of being responsible only for myself.   

Grammie

Smiles,  I think going on a cruise is a good idea.  Sometimes you have to do the unexpected!  Several years ago we had a disagreement with OS over holiday plans.  They were angry because we would not, could not change plans which they had agreed to in advance.  I told OS that I would never plan another family gathering at the holidays, I would go on a cruise and they could celebrate however they wanted to.  In 2009 we were invited to OS's home for Christmas.  We had a wonderful time and enjoyed watching GS open gifts.  OS joked with us asking what happened to us taking a cruise.  I laughed because he knew I would never leave my GC on such a joyous day.  Well it all changed when they decided that opening Christmas gifts would be done in private as their new tradition.  Our understanding is that we would never again be allowed to share in the joy of watching our GC open their gifts.  They seem to be making gift opening an issue since they prevented us from seeing the children open birthday gifts as well.  So I'm making good on my promise to take a cruise.  I'm not waiting around to see if they change their minds about a private Christmas.   We spent last Christmas with YS so this year is cruise year.  At the very least I'll get a nice vacation out of it.  I'd take this cruise if I had to mortgage my home to do it.  Probably won't see them at all since they refuse to come to our house and they refuse to invite us to theirs.  We'll mail savings bond gift certificates to the GC and be done with it. 
Change the changeable, accept the unchangeable, and remove yourself from the unacceptable.   
~ Denis Waitley ~

Pooh

Me and DH are booking a cruise this week for vacation.  I love cruising!  We use CC all the time, but I don't post much either just use it for information.  We use Carnival as well and I have not had a bad experience yet.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

FAFE

We are going to Cozumel, Belize, Honduras and Grand Cayman.  This will be the first Carnival cruise we've done in a while.  Like I said earlier, we really like Holland America, especially the Eurodam.  Went on her last year for a 17 day Med and had a ball.  Then we took a 7 day one out of Ft Lauderdal in November.  Took a jazz/blues cruise in Jan and really enjoyed that one.  No dressing up, shorts and flip flops all day long.  Great music everywhere you went.  That was on the Westerdam (Delbert McClinton Sandy Beaches Cruise). 

A little off topic, but we have seen all 50 states and now we have to see all the US Possessions and Territories as well as some other countries.

The one mistake I made was being on the cruise for my DD's first mother's day after she adopted her baby!  Felt bad about that, so I will do a little better planning.