March 28, 2024, 05:25:20 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Baby Clothes, etc.

Started by Keys Girl, July 19, 2012, 04:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keys Girl

I have been storing baby and toddler clothes that my son wore and even though I've moved a few times, I've always kept them, with the idea that he might like to have his children wear them.  I'm in a small apartment now, and I'm clearing through some clutter and I'm thinking of sending most of them on to a charity, and keeping one or two items.

I'm not even sure that I'll ever see any grandchildren and after 25+ years of holding on to these items, I could use the space and my enthusiasm for holding on to them has of course gone down the tubes.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

KG
"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry." Author Unknown

pam1

I think charity is a great idea!

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Beth 2011

Hey Keys Girl,

Sounds like a plan. Chin up!  :)

luise.volta

I donate anything I don't use to someone who can. I know I am lacking in sentimentality, probably, but there's no clutter.  8)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Elise

I did what you are thinking of years ago KG - kept his first tie, his little monogrammed yellow sweater from about 2 years old and his first birthday outfit.  They fit in a zip loc bag and I have not been sorry I let the rest go. Still have his childhood books though, am hoping to pass those on one of these days, along with his wood building blocks and train set.

Scoop

Keys - I think you should donate 'almost' everything.  Boys are less sentimental about that stuff.  And really, it's usually the Mom who dresses the baby, and her level of sentimentality will be once-removed from his.

Keep anything 'special', Christening dress, coming home from hospital outfit, and anything hand-made (blankets, sweaters, hats).

I've saved a bunch of my DD's stuff, because she hates to part with it, but I think as we get further away from her babyhood, we'll be able to get rid of more stuff.  She will want to buy her baby's clothes, she won't want to dress her baby in all of this 'old fashioned' clothes.

Doe

I think I would give away the bulk and package the special stuff and send that to the offending AC so he can keep it or not.  It's the 'special' stuff that seems to carry the more painful reminders, imo.

SCW

From the other side of the fence.  I am not sentimental and after three marriages have lost or given up most of my children's things.  I would (and have) like Doe said given to the AC the more sentimental items, but after 20 years or more, isn't the rest of it outdated for today's parents?  I would have never used an outfit that my mother had for me, on my daughter 25 years ago.  I cannot imagine my children using anything 20 years old on their kids.
We also deem those happy, who from the experience of life, have learned to bear its ills and without descanting on their weight.
Junvenal

Keys Girl

Thank you everyone, I'll got through the items.  I might keep a couple of hand knitted items that my mother made, and Scoop you are right, he's not likely to choose what any baby or child will be wearing, so it's going to find a new home today or tomorrow.

KG

Pooh

I did the same thing.  Got rid of all of it except a couple of special outfits each.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

lancaster lady

I offered my DS 's handmade baby blanket to my DIL for my GD , ''No thanks'' , she said .
I think we are the only sentimental ones where our kids possessions are concerned , because they certainly
don't want them .

jill

After 2 girls, most of the clothes were worn out, but if not, were given away.  I kept a few special items though.  When they were each expecting their first child, I made a centrepiece, flowers in a container with a dowel on which I hung a little baby hanger with their first baby sweater.   I have given them most of these keepsakes, glad to have done so, as I do not see much of them now.  I still have a few special writings and pictures.

Jill

constantmargaret

I have to echo that they don't want this stuff. The sentiments attached to these items are ours, not theirs. To them it's just old stuff.

I saved the darling handmade stuff my children had, and for 6 there was a lot of stuff. Turned out that in the end nobody wanted any of it. I would have had an entire closet shelf all those years if I had given it to Goodwill. DARN!

I know what you mean though. Right now there is a cute teddy bear in my DS's former closet that was given to him at birth and embroidered by family friends. Do you think I can get rid of it?

Keys Girl

It never occurred to me that they wouldn't want it, when I was younger, my mother cherished items from a previous generation or the one before it.  Times really have changed, I really could use the space and I'm going through a major de-clutter phase so someone else's kids are going to benefit.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.
KG

Pen

Keys, I loved having items that belonged to my GM & DM when they were small, but I don't think my kids are interested in having that stuff or even their own baby items. I'm glad I didn't save much, just a couple of handknit items from MIL.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb