March 28, 2024, 10:23:45 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Fiction - what are you reading?

Started by Doe, July 09, 2012, 07:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doe

Sorry, I'm not good at book reviews but I do have some titles you can look up.

I just finished "The Language of Flowers", recommended in a book group.  It was definitely not my usual kind of book but I loved it.   I had just started Orson Scott Card's 'Seventh Son' series and had to put it on hold for this one.  That's another great read, though I love OSC's other works.

I thought after D Gabaldon's "Outlander" series that I was spoiled forever for any other fiction but not so!  Oh and I did read the latest Sookie Stackhouse book when it came out several weeks ago.  She's always fun.

After getting a deal on HBO, I watched all the "Game of Thrones" episodes and am considering reading the books but there is so much detail.  I couldn't remember all the characters names on the TV show and just sailed along on their faces and where the story line took me.

Anyone else have any good reads this summer?

luise.volta

As I wrote earlier, I am into The Astrology of Awakening by Eric Meyers and it may take all summer but I love it. (I don't process data like I once did, even when I find it fascinating.)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Scoop

Doe - "Game of Thrones" is a really hard read, there are just SO many people and so many story lines.  They're good books, but complicated.

I've read the Sookie Stackhouse series too.  If you like Vampire Smut, you should try The Brotherhood of the Black Dagger series.  Beware, the books are in the "romance" section and it's this <--> close to erotica.

For other vampire/werewolf/witches books, have you read anything by Kelly Armstrong?  It's smuttiness level is about on par with the Sookie Stackhouse books.  But her series has a really good "take" on werewolves, vampires, witches and warlocks.

Doe

lol, I'm not not into vampire smut per se but I seem to keep meeting vampires in books I read!

I haven't read Kelly Armstrong but did read Anne Rice's Mayfair witches series (loved it) and Discovery of Witches with a vamp (D Harkin, I think) which was ok but very mild after coming off Anne Rice.   I think she has another one coming out soon.

Are the Sookie books smutty to you?  I don't get that, although the TV series is a little too much for me.

Thanks for the heads up on GOT.  I thought it was going to be a task so maybe I'll put on hold.

pam1

Doe, have you tried Anne Rice's vampire series?  I thought it was pretty good, but no where near the Mayfair witches storyline!

I keep hearing about 50 Shades of Gray, a friend told me like it's a grownup Twilight. 

What about Jodi Picoult, she has some pretty good books.  And Wally Lamb.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Doe

The first I heard of 50 Shades of Grey was in a SNL skit.  It was pretty funny.

I haven't gotten into other vampire stories - they just happen to be in the books I've stumbled on lately.  I do like some magic in books lately and was surprised to find some in that OS Card book.  Folk magic.

Pen

Ellen Degeneres does a funny (youtube) take-off on Grey too. I haven't read the book.

I'm reading the most recent in the 'No. 1 Ladies Detective' series (at least I think it's the most recent.) Light summer reading right now :) Soon I want to dig into a big, juicy biography of some interesting person, just can't decide who.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb