March 28, 2024, 06:09:55 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

MIL wants GS to call her.......

Started by lovelymimi, May 02, 2012, 01:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasilisa

"Big Mama" wouldn't bother me because that's basically just Southern-speak for "Grandma" -- means the same thing, right? "Little Mommy" is something else. I wouldn't like that. A large part of that is, I am sure, cultural, but I think the grandmother should be respectful of the mother's feelings in this matter.

As others have said, though, it probably won't matter because Baby will come up with his own name for his GM, more than likely, and his choice may surprise people.

lovelymimi

Beth, thanks but you didn't upset me. I actually think you have an interesting point  :) 

When my niece was a baby, she was abandoned by her DM. My mom and I raised her. When my niece was a toddler she started calling me mommy. I always corrected her by saying "I'm not your mommy, I'm you aunt." Technically, I was like a mommy to her, but I'm not her mommy so I didn't allow it. That's the same feeling I have with my DS calling someone little mommy. Even though the relationship is important, the labels we use are important to me as well, which is why I would never allow my DC to call me by my first name. I know someone who calls does that...

PS
My MIL has agreed to be called something else. She only visits once a yr. (she's a 4 hr plaine ride away). I guess she didn't feel that this would be worth a fight. Not that she would have won, but I'm glad we're not fighting over it.

Pooh

Yeah, even though I don't think it would confuse a child, I wouldn't want any GP to have a "Mom-type" title.  I have to be honest....it would bug me!  Lol.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Princess Peach

I would be a little thrown off by my MIL wanting my son to call her "Little Mommy" or any variation of any "mommy" sounding words.
However, I am also thrown off by my own mother wanting to be called "Mammy" (My mother babysits a nephew often enough that I consider it co-parenting, and this is what he calls her)

Grandma, Gramma, Grammy, Gram, even Gammy are all perfectly acceptable names for a grandmother. Also, as the person that spends the most time with my child(ren), I teach him what to call whom.

constantmargaret

Kids no more confuse Mommy, Mammy, Mimi, Momo, Memaw, Meme, or Moo moo than they do Timmy, Tammy, Tommy and upset tummy. I give kids a lot more credit than that. They can even keep their grandparents straight when both grandmothers are called Grammy, and both Grandfathers are called Grampa, like mine were. Kids just assign the names we give them, without any meaning or sentiment attached.  My GS would call me Cow Patty with a straight face if that's what he was told to call me.

But even I think little mommy is a bit much. ::)

SCW

I thought the request was creepy.

IDK about any of you, but in my community there are certain cultures who call their infant daughters and young daughters Mommy, or Mamma.  I find that a little creepy too.
We also deem those happy, who from the experience of life, have learned to bear its ills and without descanting on their weight.
Junvenal

themuffin

LOL, SCW...I kinda agree with you there.  When DS, FDIL and GD came by to visit she kept cooing at the baby and calling her "momma".  I didn't find it creepy, it just didn't suit her at all IMHO.  But that's her mommy and she can call her whatever she likes.  She looked more like a Muffin to me. ;D

And, no...I wouldn't want my baby to call any one mommy but me.  That's my title and it's a very special one.  However, I wouldn't have said anything to MIL.  But I'm sure my hubby would have done the same as yours. 

I'm 42 years old and I have two grand daughters and I'm proud to say "Come to Grandma!" ;D

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

DivaGirlDIL

I call DD little mama all the time.  It's when she is playing babies or referring to her role in our new puppy's life.  I disagree about Grandma choosing a name and you have to go with it.  Grandma can choose a name but the parents have to agree.

You have to put your foot down on this one it's creppy. Where did she come up with little mommy that just sounds weird or she wants the mom role and is being sneaky.

FAFE

Some children come up with their grandma name all by themselves.  A friend of mine starting calling her gm "Black Mammy" after seeing a picture of her grandma that was very dark.  All the GC picked up this name and there was never a problem with anyone about it.  I am called by my grandma name my DD picked out - it is after my childhood nick name and I am thrilled beyond words to hear GD yell out I luv my Fafe.  I have another friend whose GC call her little mama and she loves it.  GS started calling her that on his own.  My aunt's GC called her "other mama" and again no one had a problem with it.  That being said as other have commented, this is the South and using "mama" with various things before or after it is common. 

Doe

Quote from: FAFE on August 03, 2012, 06:12:04 AM
Some children come up with their grandma name all by themselves.  A friend of mine starting calling her gm "Black Mammy" after seeing a picture of her grandma that was very dark. 

LOL!!  I love this!

Elise

From my perspective I will be happy to be called anything at all - just so I am called, full stop.

Paca

I know it's not a funny subject but the little face used after "little mommy" made me lol! I needed that. We called our GM Noni, I dont know why,my mom and mil were GM. I know there are different names people use but I would not like "little mommy". Really I always thought grandma or grandmom was like an honor, it includes the word grand. A friend of mine use to call her GM just Grand, that was the name given to her. I thought it was sweet.