April 24, 2024, 06:51:21 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Ping Pong ,Ping Pong, new wrinkle

Started by artlady, June 29, 2012, 07:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruth

I hope when DD and SIL return home, they find you on the sofa smoking a big stogie with two very large easy dogs on your lap licking spit up, and watching a trashy movie on tv while GS sleeps like a lamb.   :) 

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

artlady

RUTH   You are a hoot . Wow now if i had been doing that , it would have been in the paper as they would have gone into a rage. I made it but it was tough having to listen to the little guy cry himself to sleep. I could go in every 10 , then 15 then 20 minutes to tell him " I love you " give him a pat , don't pick him up or rock him, " we don't want him rocked" ( SIL orders ) . I made it through but with a very heavy heart , knowing what was said the past weekend to DH, the hurt he feels and DD saying she would call to talk to him to straighten out but never has . DH went to see his gs for the day of which helped him . They were nice to me , but of course they should have been , getting out the first time in 6 months , and it was free. I did feel bad though the painting i painted for the nursery , gave to DD at a shower prior to birth is still not hung in nursery. It is leaning against the wall. I copied the one shown with her nursery set so she wouldn't have to spend $250.00, they have very little hung , walls are very bare except for 6 little 3x3 pics and one from another small one from a cousin that is an painter. Mine is a 18 x24, big for baby to see. So no more paintings from me . I did go to farmers market so when i got home , in all this darn heat i put up 4 pints of strawberries and peaches, 4 quarts of butter beans and squash and today I'll do the okra. So all is good and I'm done with the sitting for them unless it is an emergency, until things are right with dd and dh. It appears that I'm the only gp they want around them or gs and i can't be in the middle or take the place of all.

artlady

OH YES I Forgot , everyone can get up off your knees from praying , I made it , baby lived through me sitting for 3 hours , DD/SIL didn't have me arrested , house was in one piece and I didn't screw up the TV with all the gadgets and controls they have to use. So you don't have to look for my obituary anywhere in the news. I'm back to normal , trying to stay cool in this terrible heat wave in the south, going naked is not an option  at my age   lol  .

lancaster lady

AL ........you are a better babysitter than me , unless there were cameras , I would have rocked that baby till my arms dropped off . Once in a blue moon isnt going to spoil that wee chap . My artwork was never hung either .......whatever   never mind, collecters items one day . :)

artlady

July 02, 2012, 04:43:04 AM #20 Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:10:02 AM by Pooh
LL I had decided I would but then I thought what if I do and he doesn't go to sleep , they come home and find out he has been awake all this time . DD left a bottle for him in case so I had my plan but when a baby gets over tired then sometimes it can be hard getting them to sleep. He was crying very hard at first so I did the 10 minutes, he started to settle down so then it was breaks of crying to a quick doze , as i had monitor so i could hear and see  all he was doing . I wanted to rock him sooooooooooooooo back and bond with that little fella as I feel i need to , just don't feel attached to him yet as i think i should be feeling , like i do with others . I know i could kick myself for not doing it but when it came from SIL"s directions i figured i might not , but i knew dd wouldn't mind if i did but SIL rules. 

Doe

I'm with LL but I think I would rather not babysit than do what is natural for me to soothe someone.  Or maybe tell the parents that if the baby cries,  this is what I'll do.  They can decide if it's worth it to them.

artlady

Oh I was going to rock I made my mind up but he seemed to be settling down in between so i thought if i pick him up , rock him and he gets all upset then i might have a time on my hand . My luck they would come home early , I wouldn't hear them till they were upstairs so that I'd be , I'm sure the sil would be livid , have a very ugly remark to make and it too far and too late for me to drive home with hurt feelings so to keep the peace , not what I wanted to do I did as i was told .The rocker in the nursery is the rocker i was rocked in , DD was rocked in and I had it redone , new covered cushion on the bottom to match nursery colors. It is the best baby rocking rocker, so comfortable .

Pen

These days I always assume there's a nanny-cam installed somewhere...best to do as you're told :)
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

firelight

I always think it's odd and don't understand why some parents don't want to rock their babes....but that is me.  I'm a rocking grandma (in more ways than 1!   :D ).  I rock my GD when I can because I know these days are so very precious and will be soon gone in a blink of an eye.  I respect the differences though in others, but that doesn't mean I understand them.  Much love artlady!  You did a fine job.   :)
Firelight

"When you allow life to flow... without struggle... your Soul is restored."   ~z2z~

artlady

Oh I wanted to rock oh sooooooooooooo bad, as I love rocking those little ones while you can. I believe it is such a sweet , nuturing part of a baby's life to be rocked but the new way with some doesn't include it so yes i did as i was told , no tellling with him an engineeer there might have been a ganny=cam somewhere   lol , he has all the other gadgets  . Maybe sometime I"ll get to rock him before he is too big to fit in my lap

luise.volta

July 03, 2012, 05:47:42 PM #26 Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:56:01 PM by luise.volta
It's so new that it's what they were doing in the1920s when I was a baby. Neglect in the name of progress. Toughen us up through providing a sense of rejection and abandonment. A wonderful way to learn to cope and feel confident. Sure. Really nice not to feel loved or secure. Not being held or kissed builds character. It's great and it keeps the therapists in business later on. I know...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

lancaster lady

Yet we see ancient cultures where babies are strapped to their mothers backs and fronts . Who's to say which is the correct way , but for me a swaddled baby held close comforts both mother and baby . Oh , and grandmas too , especially this one ....... :)

Pen

Touch is very comforting and healing. I rocked & hugged my kids all the time. No, they don't need to be rocked by mommy as AC, they grew up & it all worked out just fine, lol.

OTOH, I was raised w/the parenting model Luise described & I'm a mess. Oh, snap! Maybe I rocked my kids for my benefit? LOL
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

artlady

Pen LL and LV you are so right , I rocked DD and both seemed to love it . I had rockers everywhere from both sides of the family so that tells you something , as  I was told these rocked my mom/dad , my brothers and me etc so I loved rocking DD thinking back on the others that were rocked in them. Now one of those rockers is in her nursery so GC is the 4th generation in that rocker but it only gets used at bed time , as a scheduled rock / after nursing . No other time . I used it to calm her down, to put her down for naps, it was just something I enjoyed and I thought was good for her too. So hope the little guy is loving that night time rock, it was hard enough to go through that "cry out " stuff, not pick him up to comfort the little guy. I was a good mother/ MIL i did as I was told because in this situation I can't afford to rock the boat .