March 29, 2024, 12:05:08 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

A 10+ on the Inspiration Board - From Homeless to Harvard - Dawn Loggins

Started by Keys Girl, June 10, 2012, 03:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keys Girl

If you ever need a lift check out the story of Dawn Loggins, the teenager abandoned by her parents, who worked as a janitor in her high school, at times was homeless, but somehow managed to keep her grades up high enough by doing homework until 2AM and is now admitted to Harvard on a full scholarship!! 

The child of drug addicts (it appears) she has no hostility or bitterness towards them despite the fact that the once moved away while she was out of town and made sure she was unable to contact them and had to fend for herself.

She has set up a new foundation for the homeless and is now giving out advice.

One piece is:  Don't let your circumstances define you"

I think she's 18 years old, but that is one wise woman indeed!

KG

"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry." Author Unknown

Elise

Inspiring story KG. I like the advice not to let ourselves be defined by our circumstances - am working on that every day now, again.  That young lady has what my mother would have called ' true grit'.

luise.volta

I have read her story and it is truly inspiring. Thanks for bringing it to WWU. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama