April 23, 2024, 07:58:28 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Goodbye Dear Son: draft letter ready to send.....

Started by Footloose, June 01, 2012, 09:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firelight

welcome, mumof2sons!  You're in good company here.  Keep posting. 
Firelight

"When you allow life to flow... without struggle... your Soul is restored."   ~z2z~

Elise

From LL: "In my experience.  I've discovered my AC dont want to know if I'm sad ,happy,in pain , depressed , tired , sick , whatever . If they ever ask how I am , as long as I say ' fine '   they are ok . My problems are not their problems , but theirs are most definitely mine !  Hhhmmmmm. .... !"

I've realized this is true as well for me. Took me a while, though now my concentration is on family of the spirit and I am finding that while I am interested in ds and dil, I am mostly not being drawn into helping them, materially or physically, as in the past. I listen to their challenges when they open up to me about pregnancy currently or job related stresses and offer kind of the same ear I would to a relative stranger. While it is sort of an empty feeling for me, strangely it is freeing as well and in time I hope to move beyond the 'empty' of that sentence.

Pen

LL, true for me too. My AC never ask how I'm doing or what I've been up to. If I try to tell them anyway I get *chirp* chirp* chirp* (crickets.) They seem to be completely uninterested. However, I've heard through third parties that DS has bragged about me to his profs, and I saw once where he tweeted about something I'd done (a good thing, lol.) We can't assume they aren't paying attention; sometimes they surprise us. But mostly it's all about them.

What's amusing is that it's the same w/my DF/SM. They aren't interested in me either, but talk about themselves or SM's AC/GC constantly. Hmmm...I guess that means I'm not very interesting to anyone, lol. Not going to let that stop me from pursuing my goals & dreams, boring as they may be!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

lancaster lady

A girls gotta do what a  girls gotta do . You go girl !   To heck with them all .... ;D

mywebb

i did the letter thing too, i didnt make one shred od of differance i think it can give them pleasure knowing you hurt enough to write one ..just my opinion