March 28, 2024, 03:20:57 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Serendipity Vignette

Started by luise.volta, May 26, 2012, 05:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

Memorial Weekend: Feeling kind of alone because it's a family holiday. Was online when I noticed a Quiznos coupon. Large discount/ good for two days. Decided to combine breakfast and lunch and head for town for a Quiznos Adventure. People ahead in line asked me to sit with them. Nice. I showed them my coupon. Lady ahead of them had two polite pre-teens that said "please and thank you" while ordering and I complimented the mom. Lady ahead of me asked me to give her my coupon and said they would order for all three of us on it and I would get mine free. They put me ahead of them in the line and did that. I asked them again if I didn't owe them anything and they said no...enjoy. I walked out with my lunch and the money I had taken out of my piggy bank (end of the month) still in my pocket. And I told them they'd made my holiday! ?
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Doe

What great good fortune!   

Here I was about to post something like "at last, a holiday where people don't miss family"...  It looks like even though you were missing them you found a quick temporary family setting for yourself!

It's a working weekend here - we are making hay while the weather is warm.  Fires from New Mexico have blown into our area so it's smokey here.  Hopefully we'll get to see some live music at the local festival tomorrow evening.

Pooh

Oh Luise.  I love that.  How wonderful of them to invite you temporarily into their lives.  It's amazing how such a small act of kindness can make such an impact on us. I'm glad that ended up making your holiday nice.  You deserved it!

My DH and I were eating in restaurant the other day.  We both love to people watch.  We noticed an older couple sitting across from us and frankly, I noticed them because they reminded me of me and DH.  Watching their gestures to each other, we got the giggles because they were so sweet to each other.  They ordered one dinner and an extra plate.  They ordered one coke and a glass of water and then took turns sipping from the coke when the waitress wasn't looking which I had to keep turning away because I was getting tickled at their efforts to foil the waitress.  They divided up the salad, steak and potato. 

DH made the remark that he wondered if they always did that to save money, or just that's all they could eat?  I made the comment that I would have loved to have sat with them and heard their story, then bought their dinner.  He kind of smiled at me and said, "We can still do that."  We had the same waitress and when she came back, DH told her that he wanted to buy their dinner but didn't want them to know who did it.  I so love my DH.  She brought us their ticket with ours.  They asked the waitress for their ticket in a minute and she told them it had been taken care of.  They both looked shocked and then smiled really, really big.  It was priceless and something I want to do again.  They made our day and weekend and gave us such joy watching them.  I couldn't help but think that gave them a great conversation for the evening and story to tell their friends.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

May 29, 2012, 08:53:09 AM #3 Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:54:41 AM by luise.volta
P - That made me tear up with happiness. Two sides of the same story in many ways. Bless your hearts!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

It was so worth every penny seeing the smiles on their faces.  We got more out of it than they did, I assure you.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

shorewil

So sweet to know that there ARE good people in the world ! We take "family" where ever we find it  ! God Bless !!!

Elise

Very very cool - teared up a little at both your stories. Thanks Pooh and Louise

firelight

So a good deed shines through x 2....   :)

there still are good people in the world....

they won't forget you and you certainly won't forget them....

LOVE IT!
Firelight

"When you allow life to flow... without struggle... your Soul is restored."   ~z2z~