March 28, 2024, 03:50:04 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Recent Press Release - Luise

Started by luise.volta, April 24, 2010, 08:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

83 Year-Old "Great-Grandma-Blogger" Receives Honors

Octogenarian's Popular Advice Column Boasts 150,000 Site Visitors a Year and Offers 1,000+ Blog Posts

Stanwood, WA (PRWEB) April 7, 2010 -- Who says life is over at 83? Certainly not Luise Volta, octogenarian author of over 1,000 blog posts on the popular "advice" website, MomResponds.com. In the five years since she started her online column, Volta has garnered over 1,500 reader comments from more than 150,000 annual site visitors. And she answers questions from 120 countries on topics ranging from sex to shoelaces.

"Two of the subjects I address most often are 'My son hates me' and 'What do I do about my sexless relationship?'" she shared.

Other questions she often receives are, "Is my marriage over?" and "How do I find the vehicle ID on my travel trailer?" RVs and small campers occupy significant space on her site, as do mother-in-law problems. "I came to realize that many women have trouble with their adult sons and daughter-in-laws, so I started an online forum where women could discuss it." Her resulting second website, WiseWomenUnite.com, has been up for a year and boasts more than 250 active forum participants. "Now younger women are writing in asking for help with their mother-in-laws!" she said.

Housebound while caring for her 98-year-old husband, Volta got the idea of starting her blog from family and friends who often would ask her for advice. "They told me, 'Mom, you need to put that out there. Somebody else somewhere needs to hear that, too.'"

Prior to becoming a caregiver, much of Volta's recent years have been spent volunteering in many different capacities in the retirement facility where she and her husband live. She also wrote for a senior newspaper and occupied a seat on the Snohomish County Council on Aging. Last year she won two awards, one for her senior community service and the other for her web presence. Seattle's Foss Home and Village Foundation honored her with a "Special Senior Award" and Bank of America Charitable Foundation's Neighborhood Excellence Initiative recognized her as a "2009 Local Hero."

Volta has worked as a nurse, preschool teacher, interior designer, real estate agent, insurance adjuster, and dairy herd tester. She's traveled the Northern Hemisphere as a full-time RVer and currently lives in the Pacific Northwest. She bore four children, buried three, and has survived five marriages. She has 60 years' experience as a wife and mother.

When asked if she finds aging depressing, Volta replied, "No. Life is a series of adventures. Some are difficult, of course. But whenever I feel a void, I wonder, 'What's just around the next corner? And I can't wait to find out!'"
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pen

That's so cool, Luise! You're an amazing woman. Gives new meaning to the term "octo-mom," LOL.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

Hope

Luise - I loved reading the interesting article about the prestigious honor you received.  I already knew what an incredible woman you are, but it was great reading someone else talk about it.  Congrats to you - just think of how many people you have helped, how many lives you've touched.  When you think about it, you touched the lives of the people who live with the people that have read your wise words and acted on them - therefore, your reach is limitless.  Mind boggling.  Thanks for making us an important part of your life.  Lots of hugs coming your way......Hope

luise.volta

Thanks, Hope. And thanks for being willing to contribute. A web-forum is an empty page until others activate it. We have so many wonderful Wise Women here and such loyalty, integrity and respect. I'm continually blown away. :)

cremebrulee

Wow Luise, you've been such an asset to your community, and your cyber communities...what an honor...
Hey, can I have your autograph? 
Seriously, congratulations and keep on keepin on....

big hugs
Creme

luise.volta

Thanks Creme - If you guys weren't willing to play with me, I'd still be sitting here looking at an empty screen. You contribute so much! ;D

luise.volta

Thanks Anna. I may have started this Forum but the wisdom is so far and beyond what I might offer. I'm the seed...you guys are the flowers!  :)

bettylou

Congratulations!  And thanks for all you do to help others! 

luise.volta

Thank you. I have really enjoyed sharing that with my e-family.

Sassy

Congrats!   You are one of a kind and we are so lucky you share your life and wisdom with us !!!

Thank you for creating a magic place.

luise.volta