April 24, 2024, 12:02:20 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Adoptees

Started by ruthann, May 08, 2012, 06:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruthann

May 08, 2012, 06:05:20 AM Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 06:07:33 PM by luise.volta
Are there any wise women I can consult who are adoptees or have adult adopted children?  I will share concerns if there are women on this site who have experience with adoption in their lives.  Thanks.

ruthann

I misspelled a couple of words --sorry. I meant ARE adoptees and the other word is SHARE. 

pam1

ruthann, DH and I are in the middle of the adoption process.  We do not have the child yet but have read many books.  I won't be able to know exactly what you're talking about but I think I researched and read enough that I have an idea of some of the potential issues.  I'm sorry, it's not quite the same.  Just wanted to let you know someone was here with an ear if you want.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

luise.volta

Typos corrected...but I have no experience on either end of adoption. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

ruthann

Congratulations to you , Pam1 and DH!  It is the most wonderful experience.  The minute you lay eyes on your daughter or son your life will change.  You will be richly blessed with so much joy along with the typical worries parents have in raising their children.   

My problem encompasses my adult daughter now.  She is still a wonderful, good daughter.  My computer is on the blink until the 18th.  I will post more on this subject then. 

I rejoice in the new arrival.  Do you have any idea when she/he will be arriving.  It took 22months for us. H

OnBalance

I just happened to find this forum by chance tonight.

I may not be able to come the site often, so I may not be able to read or comment very often.

To answer the opening statement on this thread: I adopted my son when he was 11, although I met him when he was 8.  He is now 24 years old.

OnBalance

Quote from: OnBalance on May 21, 2012, 10:05:26 PM
I just happened to find this forum by chance tonight.

I may not be able to come to the forum often, so I may not be able to read or comment very often.

To answer the opening statement on this thread: I adopted my son when he was 11, although I met him when he was 8.  He is now 24 years old.

Pooh

Welcome OnBalance.  When you get a chance, please read the threads in "Open Me First".  It explains our guidelines and we ask all new members to do this.  Nothing wrong with your post.

This is a wonderful place full of loving, caring women, so even if you can't visit often, welcome.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

FAFE

I adopted my oldest son when he was 7.  His father and I were married when he was 5.  Don't know if this is what you're looking for. 

My daughter and SIL adopted a precious baby girl 19 months ago. 

firelight

Welcome OnBalance!

I don't have first hand experience on either side of adoption but I have a cousin who is going through the lengthy process of adopting 2 little sisters.  They are becoming a beautiful family.  My ex brother in law and his brother were both adopted.  I doubt I can help you if you are looking for particular info as I have not personally lived it.
Firelight

"When you allow life to flow... without struggle... your Soul is restored."   ~z2z~

Doe

DIL was adopted and ended our relationship when she contacted her birth mom.  The birth mom is doing something illegal and when I asked questions about the activity, she slammed the door on our side of the family.  DS decided to stay on her side, which I get (leave and cleave).   

I see the powerful need for her to have her birth mom but I was surprised that they would forfeit a family who had been there for the whole life of our son in favor of someone who didn't search her out.

pam1

Quote from: ruthann on May 08, 2012, 06:33:52 PM
Congratulations to you , Pam1 and DH!  It is the most wonderful experience.  The minute you lay eyes on your daughter or son your life will change.  You will be richly blessed with so much joy along with the typical worries parents have in raising their children.   

My problem encompasses my adult daughter now.  She is still a wonderful, good daughter.  My computer is on the blink until the 18th.  I will post more on this subject then. 

I rejoice in the new arrival.  Do you have any idea when she/he will be arriving.  It took 22months for us. H

I'm so sorry, Ruthann.  Somehow I missed your post!  We are told that it is an accelerated adoption, however it doesn't seem that way lol.  I assume just a couple more months but then again, I've been assuming that since winter!  It's frustrating but I know it's worth it :)
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift