April 18, 2024, 06:49:22 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

DIL wants me to watch grandson...

Started by bettylou, April 21, 2010, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettylou

Son has directions for me on what he likes to eat and when he needs to sleep, so I am ok with following them.  I am getting more excited now I have not been able to see him for five months.  I can't wait to see how big he is and all the new things he has learned

Pen

Babies and toddlers do change a lot in a month or so...if we don't get to see them due to distance, bad timing, illness, or just plain vindictiveness we miss out on a lot. I'm so glad you have a cool head about this, Betty. I agree with Allohamora to tone down the gratitude and enthusiasm in front of DIL & DS...it might make you seem needy and it seems like a lot of skittish DILs/DSs don't like that ;)
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Birdy

Quote from: keeponsmilin on April 22, 2010, 10:40:30 AM
BettyLou-

I am wishing you lots of luck.  Here is a suggestion-

Ask son and DIL to write down "instructions" for you.  If you have in writing what foods baby can have, bedtime procedures, any unusual requirements for diaper changing, etc. then DIL can't come back later and accuse you of anything.  It is the PARENT's responsibility to let caregivers know of their wishes.  the first time my MIL kept my littlest one over night, she asked me about 20 questions about the care of the baby.  I know she is competent, but she wanted to make sure things went smoothly.  She loves that baby more than anything, and my very smart MIL wanted to make sure she did everything in her power to have that baby at her house again.  I was a little annoyed with all of the questions she asked, but that first stay was great.  When we picked up baby, MIL had completed a chart just like a day care would.  She had made a copy of the blank "how was my day" sheet from daycare, and filled it in.  I knew when baby slept, pooped, ate, played, etc.  She even wrote a little note at the bottom about how much she enjoyed her visit, and how we must be great parents to have such a "perfect" little one.  That note is in the baby book!  She now has the little one for an overnight visit at least once every other month, and a couple of times a year when we go on vacation. 

With that said, I know I am a reasonable person and your DIL is NOT.  I can see someone like her blowing you off as you ask important questions.  Enlist your son to help.  He is the father and should know the answers to those questions.  Then, if you still do something "wrong" it would be because her dear hubby messed up, not you! 

Please let us know how the visit goes :)

Betty:

I love what Keeponsmilin has suggested. 

While I was pregnant with the twins, I typed up a day in the life of my DD and had it on the fridg in case I went into early labor and for while I was at the hospital.

My IL's came to stay with DD for the 4 days I was in the hospital.  I gave it to them and had them read it over and asked them if they had any questions.

If your DS/DIL doesn't do this, I would suggest you have a pen & paper for when they drop him off and ask them some questions about your GC routine.

SunnyDays09

Sounds wonderful.  Hope all goes well for you.   You sound so excited! :D

I am sure it will be a wonderful experience for you all. 

Nana

I am happy for you.  I agree with the other posts.  What do you have to lose.  You dont see your grandchild often or have him stay with you.   I feel you are excited and nervous at the same time.  I understand you perfectly well, believe me I have been there (not anymore).  I did have my first grandchild every friday to take care of him while his parents (dil and son) were working.  From Monday thru Thursday he would stay with the other grandmother.  But I knew perfectly well that at the end of the day when dil came to pick him up....he would asked me a lot of questions and than my son would call me and asked me if I....this....if I....that.   So this was a very tense situation, it seemed dil was never happy with what I did...no matter how hard I tried.  So, I was very happy but anxious every Friday.  When I finally could not bear it any longer I asked my son not to bring the baby to me on Fridays because it was nerve wrecking and started to have a depression.  When I told son this he said that he understoood me and that he would let dil know about my decision.   I think that I had never cried so much than when I made this decision.  It took a lot of courage on my side but it was affecting me tremendously.  Okey (long story huh?).  It worked.  They continue bringing my grandson on Fridays and dil apologized.  She has changed a lot and now they have another baby girl and I watch both of them on Fridays and they bring them to stay over on weekends very often.    Go for it.... Just do your best....and maybe its the beginning of something real good.  Good luck and may God bless you.
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

luise.volta

And we go along with you, heart-to-heart.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

bettylou

My son called to firm up the the babysitting plans he actually told me that DIL was very happy that I had agreed and wanted to know if there was anything she could do for me and my husband.  I thought was very nice of her.  I did not push my luck and ask for anything, I told him I just wanted her and her mom and my son to have a great time and that I thought it was very nice of her to say that.  I am hoping things are shifting for us?  I just don't want to be a place I have been in before where I thought the worst was over and then got a big smack so to speak.  My daughter in law can be very very charming when she chooses to be, and that is nice, she can be a joy to know at times, but when she chooses to be cold and calculated it is dreadful to see her in action.  I have always wondered if she was a bipolar or perhaps a personality disorder of some type.  She does not only switch back and forth with us but with my son too.  I have seen her sitting on his lap and playing with his hair then with in 15 minutes she is scolding him to leave her alone and not touch her.  I just want so badly to not be the big bad mother in law, the other undesirable grandmother or the pain in the butt side of the family.  I have been those things in her eyes for so long and it does not get easier.  I just want so badly to fit in to their lives somehow.  I asked son if he wanted me to send them off with any snacks and he said they love my jam cookies and would like to have those so I will send those

luise.volta

Crossing fingers...elbows and eyes...

alohomora

Quote from: Anna on April 22, 2010, 03:51:24 PM
Bettylou, I would check with dil before you take him outside.  My dil wouldn't even allow us to take our first gc out into their fenced in backyard his whole first summer.  Got upset when we sat out on the front porch, cause she didn't want people to think her house was our house & by sitting on the front porch people might get that idea.  (She actually told me that).

HUH!?! That just made me LOL. WOW!!
I'm wondering - was it that you were outside without her? Maybe she was just making things up because she didn't want you to leave the room she was in with her baby? Because that rational is just ...wow!

cremebrulee

Quote from: bettylou on April 23, 2010, 06:40:23 AM
My son called to firm up the the babysitting plans he actually told me that DIL was very happy that I had agreed and wanted to know if there was anything she could do for me and my husband.  I thought was very nice of her.  I did not push my luck and ask for anything, I told him I just wanted her and her mom and my son to have a great time and that I thought it was very nice of her to say that.  I am hoping things are shifting for us?  I just don't want to be a place I have been in before where I thought the worst was over and then got a big smack so to speak.  My daughter in law can be very very charming when she chooses to be, and that is nice, she can be a joy to know at times, but when she chooses to be cold and calculated it is dreadful to see her in action.  I have always wondered if she was a bipolar or perhaps a personality disorder of some type.  She does not only switch back and forth with us but with my son too.  I have seen her sitting on his lap and playing with his hair then with in 15 minutes she is scolding him to leave her alone and not touch her.  I just want so badly to not be the big bad mother in law, the other undesirable grandmother or the pain in the butt side of the family.  I have been those things in her eyes for so long and it does not get easier.  I just want so badly to fit in to their lives somehow.  I asked son if he wanted me to send them off with any snacks and he said they love my jam cookies and would like to have those so I will send those

Dear BettyLou

You are not the bad MIL...believe me, I think your very understanding...unfortunately, your DIL does seem to have some kind of problem...

I've heard that people who are in dire need of attention, will do anything to get attention, even if it's negative...hence, your DIL sitting with your son, twirling his hair and then all of a sudden having a hissy fit...maybe, it's b/c he is engrossed in TV and not giving her attention, therefore, she gets it in acting out badly?

Just a guess, however, it isn't you...believe that and enjoy the time you have with your GC....big hugs, Creme

luise.volta

Hope

Quote from: keeponsmilin on April 22, 2010, 10:40:30 AM
BettyLou-

I am wishing you lots of luck.  Here is a suggestion-

Ask son and DIL to write down "instructions" for you.  If you have in writing what foods baby can have, bedtime procedures, any unusual requirements for diaper changing, etc. then DIL can't come back later and accuse you of anything.  It is the PARENT's responsibility to let caregivers know of their wishes.  the first time my MIL kept my littlest one over night, she asked me about 20 questions about the care of the baby.  I know she is competent, but she wanted to make sure things went smoothly.  She loves that baby more than anything, and my very smart MIL wanted to make sure she did everything in her power to have that baby at her house again.  I was a little annoyed with all of the questions she asked, but that first stay was great.  When we picked up baby, MIL had completed a chart just like a day care would.  She had made a copy of the blank "how was my day" sheet from daycare, and filled it in.  I knew when baby slept, pooped, ate, played, etc.  She even wrote a little note at the bottom about how much she enjoyed her visit, and how we must be great parents to have such a "perfect" little one.  That note is in the baby book!  She now has the little one for an overnight visit at least once every other month, and a couple of times a year when we go on vacation. 

With that said, I know I am a reasonable person and your DIL is NOT.  I can see someone like her blowing you off as you ask important questions.  Enlist your son to help.  He is the father and should know the answers to those questions.  Then, if you still do something "wrong" it would be because her dear hubby messed up, not you! 

Please let us know how the visit goes :)
Great post, keeponsmilin!  I need to remember all those ideas for when we have our first grandchild in July.  I anticipate a minimum of baby visits and if we are fortunate enough to actually babysit overnight or even babysit at all, these are all great suggestions!  I don't think I would have come up with those thoughts on my own.  I think your ideas would put a pretty fluffy feather in Bettylou's hat.  Thanks for sharing.
Hugs to all, Hope

Pen

Dear Hope, you are such a kind, sweet person...I don't know why anyone would want to limit your access to GC, but I understand what you mean about "anticipating a minimum of baby visits." My DIL has already made it clear that when GC make their appearance her parents will be the main event because they were great parents and we weren't (long story, and not true, but what are we going to do?) I'm storing all these ideas away, too, in the hope that one day (no babies on the horizon yet) I can show DIL that I'll be a responsible, obedient GM.

Keepsonsmilin, thanks for the suggestions!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Hope

Pen, thanks for your compliments!  I blunder all over the place, but at least it's not on purpose - not vindictive or mean spirited.  I don't think anyone would have met up to your dil's standards, so don't feel like you caused it.  I have a feeling that the misunderstanding about your parenting being inferior is not just a misunderstanding - maybe more manipulation to make sure dil's parents stay on top.  In some ways I believe that is what's happening in my situation.  My dil is very competitive (the bad kind - poor sportsmanship) and I've often wondered if we were cast away because she didn't want her parents' ranking to be challenged.  That was one of the theories I came up with while analyzing (for the thousandth time).  Stay strong!  You have so much to offer.  If I thought you could improve what you are doing, I'd try to guide you in some way - but I can't find where you are lacking.
Sending hugs.......Hope

Hope

Thanks, Anna.  I just love the reinforcement we receive from each other here.  We need that support to keep us going. 
I learn so much from reading what you are all going through.  For one thing, it helps us to brace ourselves for what may be coming our way and also to try to cut it off at the pass.  If we have an idea what we'll be up against, we may be able to avoid it.
I particularly enjoy reading your posts - your love for your gc shines through each one and warms my heart.
Love and hugs......Hope