March 29, 2024, 02:26:12 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Why can't MILs and DILs get along?

Started by Vasilisa, April 28, 2012, 01:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lillycache

I think that social planning is just something women do better.  Who knows... it might be genetic. lol!  Women pay attention to dates and events and social propriety, whereas men really couldn't care less.  They don't seem to have a clue.  I am sure there are some men that do bang up jobs, but I believe they are far and few between.  I'm not making excuses for them... just saying that if their moms are waiting for them to plan events with them, these moms most times will come up shorted. 

pam1

Lilly, I wonder about that sometimes but my DH manages his time at work and with his friends just fine.  I've talked with a few friends about this over the years and their husbands don't have much problems handling their social lives.  In my very humble opinion I think it is less to do with gender, it is the man's priorities.  I don't think they always make their family of origin a priority. 
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Doe

I hear ya, Pam.

I was hammering my husband recently about the fact that I have to do all the planning in an area of our lives and he gave me, "I'm just not good at planning."  I pointed that his role in our business is all about planning - promotion, estimates, setting jobs, planning who will work, getting the equipment there, blah, blah blah.   He didn't have a comeback to that!

Lillycache

Perhaps men just really don't care about their families.  What else should we take from that?  We are just not that important to them.    :(

Lillycache

When I sam "families"  I mean their moms and FOO.   Better by far to have only girls..   :'(

Beth 2011

I was sitting here ladies and thinking about when I was a little kid around 9 or 10 and my DGM told me that DGF's DM was coming to stay for a couple of months.  Well, my DGF's Mother was always mean and hateful to my DGM and my DGM was not feeling well at the time.  Granny was just plain ornery and mean at times.  ;)  Well, DGF sat his DM down when she got there and talked to her and told her that she was welcome in their home and that he loved her but she had to respect my DGM and keep her nasty comments to herself.  My DG could never do anything to please her.  All of us GC witnessed this time and time again.  So when my DGF sat his DM down, things were quiet at first but we could still hear in the back bedroom with the door closed.  :)  We had been sent to the room but it didn't matter we all listened anyway.  I look back and now I realize how she sulked for days after that talk but my DGF put his foot down and they would go at it every night for about a week after he got home from work.  He told her he didn't know how my DG stayed with her all day.  :o  My DGF was very close to his DM.  She finally calmed down and stayed for 4 months on that visit.  All of the GC (us) would go over and she adored my DB but she didn't particularly care for us heathens as she called me and my DSs.  :)  Looking back, I think she just liked having all boys.  She was the center of attention with all of them. 

lancaster lady

I had a.sistet and two brothers growing up , we all new my DM preferred the.boys .