March 29, 2024, 01:50:34 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Me n DH are drifting apart

Started by deepinpain, May 11, 2012, 05:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepinpain

Yes our backgrounds are the same, except for variations in our religion.

lancaster lady

Inpain ,

I am pleased that your DH is willing to sit and discuss your problems , it is a good sign .
I think if you ask for the respect you deserve , everything else should slot into place .
Even though the parents are highly valued , you too are a parent and should be treated with equal respect .

deepinpain

Spoke to DH. Unfortunately no one had to courage to refer to the elephant in the room, my MIL and her effect on our marriage. All other conversations refer to what has already been pointed out-
Quote from: Vasilisa on May 14, 2012, 09:34:20 AM
The first thing you need to do is protect yourself. Do what you can to ensure that you will not end up homeless or cut off from your children if your husband gets into a rage.

Abusive people frequently seem to back down when they realize they are about to lose some power. I would not trust this show of remorse. It may be sincere, it may not. Husband will have to earn your trust back.

Is he of the same racial and cultural background as you? I'm asking because I want to know if he is acting out of that background of if he is using your background against you.
DH going back to his obnoxious abusive self at the first opportunity. It is time to close this chapter of our lives as there seems to be no hope.