March 29, 2024, 02:03:45 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Boycott.........Mother's Day

Started by Keys Girl, April 19, 2012, 05:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

Not in my house...DH would want to go with me!  ;D
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

Lucky you  ;)

This year I'm not limited to Betty's Big & Wide "boulder holder" bra store (yay me!) For the first time in many years I get to go to the pretty, pink-striped store, IYKWIM. Hmm, come to think of it, my DH might want to go this time...
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

elsieshaye

This too shall pass.  All is well.

CityGirl

Yay for everyone who is taking care of themselves!  Yay for senses of humor and being able to laugh!

I have been dreading this year's Mother's Day.  It will be the second one since my son stopped speaking to me and the first one since my own mother died.

My kids had been making it a nice day for me as they became grownups.  We were all in England a few years ago (yes, I took all four of my kids to England; we had a wonderful, wonderful time) when the American Mother's Day fell and they made a big fuss, had flowers delivered to the hotel for me, took me out for dinner.  We were a happy family.

Everything has changed since I was diagnosed with MS five years ago.  Our family has fallen apart, the kids are unable to cope with me being sick.

As for my own mother, Mother's Day was usually dreaded too, because she had expectations she would never share and if you didn't guess what she wanted correctly she went into a major snit.  Oy vey, the stress!!  It was not fun.  But it has been nine months since she died and I find myself actually missing her a little!  Even though she was abusive when I was a child and could be impossible since I grew up, she was just a sad, damaged person.  She did have her good days when it could actually be nice to talk to her.  She loved movies and books and I know she would be thrilled to see how much my granddaughter looks like her.  It is just so sad that she had an unhappy life and now she is gone.

Sigh. 

I am going to use some of your ideas here and plan a good day for myself!!

pam1

Love it, CityGirl!  I've taken Mothers Day back too and I'm not guilty.  For me, it's pajama day and family fun day.  I'm not going to tip toe around and have someone try to make me feel bad on a day that I'm supposed to enjoy too, so if you're not going to be in a good mood and join the fun then that's fine, just don't be around me!
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

nikncon

We always spent Mothers Day with my mom until she passed two yrs ago at the wonderful age of 89.I miss treating hen that special or any day really.This year my ODS  is visiting the weekend before.On MD weekend he has a fitness competicionwi tht his new  GF is in.So DH will take me to dinner.I guess I must learn to take the quality time I have with D S.He is going for a massage and treating his mom to a  pedicure.I am so lucky.I miss my YDS on these special days.YDS commited suicide eleven yrs ago.YDS was only twenty one.Such a waste of a beautiful intelligent muscian.Sorry for rambling on.Just a little sad.Have a great Mothers Day everyone.u/

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

artlady

Oh I miss MD doing for my mother as she was so sweet and easy to do for , always so loving and kind to everyone . I always told myself if I could be half the mother she was to us I"d be awesome. She died when I was 34 so we didn't get time to share the time of my adult life where I'd be able to tell her how right she was on things as now I could identify with it as i had a child . DD was 4 when her "granna" died. Not sure yet what MD will be for me , DD still wants me to come up there ,as it is her first md ,but the way my sfn( small fiber neuropathy ) has been of late the ride in the car up and back will totally do me in for days. I"ll do it if i have to ( put up with that rude SIL) but I'd do a lot better if here as the stress doesn't help the nerve fibers either. I think a bra fitting would really be a grand idea , I might have to go for one of those black lacy ones and hope dh doesn't see it lol. I"m loving all the cool suggestions , might put them in a MD box for future MD's    lol

Pen

Nikncon, so sorry this time of year brings back sad memories. Everyone with sadness tied to a certain holiday has to get through all the advertising and well-wishing somehow. It's difficult to avoid. (((hugs))) Enjoy dinner w/DH, the visit w/DS & the pedi.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

nikncon

Thanks Pen.Have a nice Mothers Day too.Whatever you decide to do.Enjoy yourself.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

firelight

I do believe I will get a table I want for the kitchen for mother's day....a tall cafe style one that I've had my eye on at the lil antique store....I'll send my mom something in the mail since her phone is now shut off (unless she gets it turned back on) and I cannot get into her apt building at all and she lives on the second floor. 

I will not hold my breath for my DD to do anything and I have been thinking the husband and I will take that day to go to our favorite fishing hole.  The fishing hole helps one to just "fuget aboud it".  That will do just fine for me. 

I hope you all have a HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY no matter what. 
Firelight

"When you allow life to flow... without struggle... your Soul is restored."   ~z2z~

Pen

Sounds perfect  ;)

Full steam ahead, M-Day here we come!
-- Annie Gottlieb

Lillycache

I've been dreading MD..  I'm certain my son will call me to say "Happy Mother's Day"   He will not send a card. He will not come over with a token gift.  What do I say to him when he calls?  I will say "thanks".  That's about it.  I will NOT say "Where the heck are you?"   I will NOT say "When are you coming over to see me?"  I will NOT make my feelings known.  Because to do so will tick him off..  Then instead of 1 month without hearing from him... it will be 2 months.  I have to ask myself... WHY do I care so much what he thinks?  My relationship with him now is superficial at best.  I don't know what's going on in his life.  I don't know how he is doing on his job, or if he ever got that promotion to store manager.  Why should I feel this hurt?  The reality is that he has become nothing more than an acquintance I hear from once in a while.  "How are you?" is not supposed to be followed by anything but "Fine".  He really doesn't want to hear about my bum knee or my high cholesterol numbers.  I don't really have anything to talk to him about.  Has anyone else just considered breaking it off?   I do sometimes.  Then I can't.

Pen

Yup, I have thought about it to spare myself the pain of rejection over and over again. And, like you, I can't yet. First of all, we had a pretty good relationship before and I still harbor some hope we can get it back. We raised an intelligent, interesting young man who received a great education (thanks to us), and I guess I hope that we can enjoy his brilliant company & scintillating conversation once again, lol. Second, I'm just ornery enough to not want DIL/her FOO to have the satisfaction.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

L. - My sense when I got to that place, is that it already had been broken off...and what was left was an empty shell. The last Mothers Day before my eldest son died so unexpectedly at age 52, a gift was again delivered from a florist. It was a coffee cup that said, "Big Hug Mug" with a little stuffed bear holding onto the handle and was full of multicolored daisies. I knew the reminder had come up on his computer, the call to the florist was automatic and shehad picked it out. Looking back, I think he probably wished things were different as much as I did. But he had made up that I was wicked witch of the West forty years earlier and somewhere along the way it became "fact."
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

artlady

Well all of my humor is fading the closer I get to Mother's Day as I still have no idea where or how DD and I will be sharing my 31st and her 1st. I just wish gs, DD and I could share it together as we would have such a good time together as we always do and have for so very long . If SIL has to be a part of it that will take the air out of the whole day for me . I'll have to be the always happy, funny , loving mom that I always am when I'm with her while my insides fill like crap when having to be around him with his " attitude' .  That is so very hard to balance and to keep on doing takes a toll on me . Right now with some health issues going on and new meds it is making it extremely hard to be upbeat vs cry from the chronic pain of the newly diagnosed neuropathy. So being my old self would be hard now even if SIL didn't have the " i don't want any family mine or yours in our life " attitude.  i just hope and pray by MD I can be in a better mood than I am now . thanks for being there . this week might prove to be one of my toughest yet.