March 28, 2024, 06:29:57 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Boycott.........Mother's Day

Started by Keys Girl, April 19, 2012, 05:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keys Girl

Yes, I know I'm jumping the gun because it's a couple of weeks away but I was in a store today and they were full of the "Mother's Day" type gifts, etc. etc. etc.

I decided that this year, I'm not going to observe Mother's Day, it will just be another Sunday or if I choose to at the last minute, I'll do something special or go some place that I'm interested in.

Gonna sit around and mope? NOPE, NOPE, NOPE!

Keep your expectations at 0 and you won't be disappointed because that's the difference between and adventure and an ordeal.

KG

"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry." Author Unknown

luise.volta

I went out and bought myself a fountain for on my front porch for Mother's Day! I'm not telling Kirk and my extended family or they'll think they have to pay for it! LOL!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pen

Oh man, I'd forgotten all about it 'til you mentioned it!  ;)

As brave as I act, there is still a little part of me that would love to be honored and cherished. I usually do something for myself, and I'm OK with it...says she, whistling in the dark.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

constantmargaret

In terms of being a mother, it's a job I wish I could resign from, so I'm on board not expecting anything. One year for Mother's Day I got an IOU for a Vera Bradley bag that I never got. (It's ok, I don't like them anyway. They look like diaper bags to me. haha)

OK, to be fair, my older kids have started getting the hang of it, sending cards and calling. I'm just bitter this year because my youngest is being such a monster and the DD who lives here for free is being obtuse. 

This year, instead of caring about myself, I'm going to give my lovely sweet little 80 year old mother a special day. My husband's mother died when he was 21, so he thinks of her as his mother too.

I think I'll dig up the rose bush my father gave me many years ago and transplant it at her house. He died in October and my mother misses him terribly. I'm leaving here in a year or so, and then she'll be missing me and my DH. Maybe having the rose bush will be a comfort and remind her of Dad, and my DH and me.

Maybe put in a fountain too, I like that idea, thanks Luise.

artlady

Well I"m now getting the idea that since DD has married a non-family involvement for holidays, specail occasions,birthdays guy( except for him) I might be sending myself my own cards, so  I think i need to start going to get them for the year when they go on sale after each occasion. Only one child and two step sons , so far the ss seem to appreciate me more than the new sil but dd was always on top of it all until marriage to SIL. So I think I need to ponder how to celebrate , enjoy, life and be so thankful for what i do have as i know there are always others in worse shape , worst stories than myself so I need to appreciate what i do have . One day these AC will grow up , look back and see things as their kids will be old enough to be putting them in the spots they have put us . I love holidays and special times , oh let me rephrase that I use to love the,m .

elsieshaye

I'm torn between hoping DS ignores it, or sends me a nice, neutral card.  I am -not- looking forward to some passive aggressive jab like what happened on my birthday.  I can understand, from his perspective, why he might be mad at me and not inclined to observe the day.  But, I'd be much happier just not hearing from him at all than getting something snide.  We'll see.
This too shall pass.  All is well.

lancaster lady

we have had mother's Day here .....I got a card from each of my AC .....that if ok with me , at least they remembered .
Gifts and flowers at that time are overpriced .
I remember a few years ago I treated myself to a fountain for the garden , so yes ladies , why not make it
a new ritual .Why wait for gifts when we can treat ourselves . This year I bought two lovely china mugs !

artlady

I'm going to get some vegs to plant and try the new way to do tomatoes. I was told just plant them in a bag of potting soil right on top of the ground. When season is over , either just throw it all away or use the soil that is good in some other plants. So I'll have fun doing that. So far this year has been not the same as past so I'll treat myself for md and bd  LOL

lancaster lady

We call them gro bags , three plants to a.bag , some canes to support the trusses and wallah !  Tomato heaven . Lol

artlady

ok you r on LL, wonder if i can do a few other things like that too.  I'm going tomorrow and start this not so green thumb garden.  Not too big but a few things . Now do you just get a reg bag of potting soil or any special kind ?

lancaster lady

Not being in your country I'm not sure , here they will have what they are best suited for on the outside of the bag .
You lay them in situ horizontally , slit the tops where you want to plant and thats all there is to it .
Not sure if they are available in the US.
We have to wait until the frost season has finished if they are to be outside , they are perfect for a glass/green house .
Oh and they need lots of feed throughout the growing season , and they are very thirsty .
They stay in the bag until finished , then you have wonderful potting compost .
Maybe Google Growing Bags , to see whats available where you live .
Happy Planting ...:)

artlady

Thanks I'll look tomorrow. I was just told potting soil , I know they have the hanging tomatoe bags but those thingsdidn't work for me as they dry out so fast or might just be where i had them. Do you put other vegs in them ?

shorewil

When the kids were little, I always asked for a flat of flowers for the yard for Mother's day and then they would help me plant them. When DS was about 5 or 6 he started bringing me "breakfast" in bed- which he made by hiimself. DD also helped to carry on this tradition,even after the divorce when I moved away. Don't get me wrong - they've missed a few along the way - but for the most part MDay was always good. This year i will celebrate being a first - time Grandma . Hope my son remembers to bring his WIFE breakfast in bed  !!!!!Doubt if I will see them for Mother's Day - but who knows ?????
LOVE, love LOVE the tomato plant in the bag of soil idea !!! Gotta try that !

constantmargaret

My XH's birthday is May 13.

He has always liked to celebrate it on Sunday of his BD week for some reason.

Guess which Sunday that usually is?  (Mother's Day)  I don't put much stock in that day  since my kids celebrate his BD with him, and I curse the day he was born.    :D

Mother's day is for my Mother. I think I'll bring over stuff to make Mojitos and baked Brie. She'll like that.

When my  mother is gone, I think I'll go to a nursing home and treat someone there to some love.

I have a rebellious spirit. My hubby and I boycott almost every holiday. We have more fun creating our own than following the masses.

artlady

constantmargaret you are too funny, wow that sounds like a good treat to eat on Mother's day. I am with you on DH and me doing our own thing , we say we need to do that as knowing how other friends have been left high and dry when their kids take off and go on vacation for the holidays . WE did start a tradition on Christmas eve with some family, lots of friends , their kids we have Chinese Santa ( or dirty Santa) , we do good gifts not strange ones, everyone brings food , the kids decorate Xmas cookies, have their own gift exchange , and we are keeping it no matter what. If our kids can come fine if not than we will see then before or after Xmas, so far dd and sil did come til the baby. WE figure we will get old and lots that come will so we will have a place to go when our of the kids have other plans without us . This is our 5th year and it has grown. Now i need to see how to pull off some of the other holidays   lol