March 28, 2024, 04:30:49 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

I'm Still Your Mother

Started by TM, April 05, 2012, 07:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TM

April 05, 2012, 07:01:55 PM Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:23:02 PM by luise.volta
I came across the book I'm Still Your Mother: How To Get Along With Your Grown Up Children by Jane Adams.  Wonderful and full of wisom for all different scenarios.  Has helped me more than I can say with it's insights and straightforward language.  A must read for anyone in pain.

luise.volta

The book sounds great. Thanks! We can't print quotes because of copywrite law. When you get a chance, please reread the Forum Agreement under Open Me First on our Home Page. That restriction is in there. Please to free to paraphrase what you wanted to share.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

TM

Hi Luisa
So sorry I completely forgot about that in all my excitement.  Have quoted on my post in Adult sons/daughters as well.  Oooops, will remember in future!    ???

luise.volta

Great that you got excited and shared it!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

Haven't heard of that one.  Will have to check it out.  Thanks!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

artlady

I'm certainly going to treat myself with this one for Mother's Day. Thanks

TM

Hi Artlady
I found a lot of inspiration in the book and no doubt you'll find some for yourself there too.
The biggest A'Ha for me was about not accepting guilt for our childs' behaviour/problems (guilt makes it more about US than THEM) and rather choosing regret which is basically guilt without the neurosis.  That has the effect of pushing the feelings of guilt and shame, anger confusion etc, which accompany it into the background.  You are then freed up to be emotionally able to listen and accept what they are saying, be part of the solution and available as a source of strength for them when they are confused and in pain themselves.
Happy reading!

artlady

Thanks as last night I found several books listed in  the resource section that others suggested that also seemed good . I"m going to have a library soon of these books i guess to get me over this new hurdle in my life .