March 28, 2024, 12:02:59 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

my adult children are mean and hateful towards me.... heartbroken

Started by tona, March 17, 2012, 04:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Della

My 2 adult girls do not communicate with me much.  I was divorced when they were young.  One had ADD and was always a struggle to get her to pick up her room.  I thought things were pretty good but now when they are in their late 30's it's painful.  If ask them and their husbands to go on a trip or dinner or anything most of the time they say no.  I can feel the tension when around them.  I can pick up on the body language.  One doesn't hesitant to ask me to babysit and the other doesn't hesitate to ask for help if she strapped to pay a bill.  It hurts me so much I am considering taking them out of my Will and leaving all to my grandchildren.  I don't know how to deal with this anymore. How does one deal with this when they just ignore.

Momstheword

Dear Delia,

It is heartbreaking when our adult children are unkind, in either their spoken or unspoken communications and as difficult as it is, please understand often it's not about you, it's about them.  They are the ones choosing to behave so cruelly, whether they mean to or not.

The best way to deal with hurtful situations is to remind myself that I cannot control how others behave but I can control how I react to their behaviour.

Hugs to you
xx