March 28, 2024, 04:12:32 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Birthday Wishes

Started by lancaster lady, February 29, 2012, 01:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firelight

I love that your mom made things the absolute best that she could and took pride in making things nice with pride for her family.  I would have loved to see that table.  It sounded so beautiful even if there was just soup to eat.....but "just soup" filled bellies.  What a memory for you. 

If you wrote a book about your growing up days, I would buy it.  Seriously I would. 
Firelight

"When you allow life to flow... without struggle... your Soul is restored."   ~z2z~

Pen

When the Great Depression hit it caused some weird juxtopositions like Luise's story of the table set for an elegant dinner that consisted only of soup. My GF left his ranch and headed west w/his family. They were totally broke but well-dressed and riding in a luxury vehicle. Unfortunately all of their fine home furnishings were left in a storage facility to be shipped later and were said to have been 'lost in a fire.' A few years later GF saw those same items in the home of the man who had been paid to care for them.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

In the 1930s my mother (playfully) threatened to give me to the "rag man." He had a horse and buggy...(we lived in a lovely suburb of Detroit)...and drove down our street crying "Rags! Rags!" He fed his family that way...one of the original recyclers!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Beth 2011

Ms. Luise,

My Grandparents all grew up on farms and didn't know they were poor during the depression. My GM said that she and my GA used to look forward to dinner on the ground at Church once a month.  She said that her DM would fry chicken and carry and she and her DS would look for light bread and get some mayonnaise that someone had brought and they would hide behind the shrubs and eat all the light bread and mayonnaise that their tummies could hold.

luise.volta

I think I wrote here before that for very special occasions, my dad would buy a 5 cent candy bar and cut it in five pieces! We were thrilled!

luise.volta

And we had friends that gave us their Goodwill bags to go through before they were donated...and it was like Christmas!  :D

lancaster lady

Your day is here ! Have a Happy one with your Kirk , hugs all round ......xx

Pen

Yes, happy happy day Luise!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

It's actually Friday. I used to call it "The March of the 9th" when I was really little. LOL!I'm putting my cards in the window. I do that with my Christmas cards, too. We, Kirk and I and five very close extended family members, are going to a nice place on the water. We live on Puget Sound which connects to the Pacific. :-))) 

Pooh

Refuses to do it until tomorrow..................

;D
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

forever spring

Just realised we are sharing the same birthday. March 9th. Enjoy the day.  :)

Pen

It's today! So happy official birthdays, Luise and Forever!!!
-- Annie Gottlieb

lancaster lady

Dear Luise ...

Age is just a number , especially where you are concerned ...Forever Young !
have a lovely day .... :-*

luise.volta

FS - Well, I'll be darned! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!