March 28, 2024, 04:31:31 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Daddy don't play that

Started by pam1, February 11, 2012, 05:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam1

Since this youtube is such a hot topic, I thought it might be interesting to get your takes on it.  Short story, daughter ranted on facebook...Dad found it and launched his own youtube right back.  Now it's viral and made headline news.

http://youtu.be/e745UJgBv5I

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pen

I hope he posts what happens next! I can see them both ending up on the Dr. Phil show. 

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Doe

lol - that made me want a gun!

pam1

lol Doe!

Pen, I was thinking this is going to be more of a lesson for Dad than daughter right now.  He is the one with his job livelihood at stake, not her. 

Guess it's a lesson for both that what you put on the internet is not private.

Pooh

I have several friends that have been having a good ole' time with this on their facebook.  Seems to be a 50/50 split on who thinks it's great and those that are critisizing what he did.

I personally loved it, but I listened to what he said and since I am living what he is going through, I'm probably more sympathetic to his plight and applauded him.  I heard him say they just went through her doing something else that she got punished for before this.  Her rant on facebook was terrible.  Sure, all kids want to rant about their parents, but her vocabulary and choice of words to me, were so disrespectful and embarrassing.  It sounded to me like they are trying to balance having her do chores and helping out with rewarding her (spending the money to upgrade her laptop) and such.   I was much more upset with people automatically basing their opinion on how they thought he looked.  The cigarette, setting, clothes and accent made many people call him "redneck" "ignorant country boy" and such.  If you listened to his words, he's college educated, owns his own clinic of some sort and left home at an early age and made something of himself.  At least, that's what I heard.

I saw it on a news sites facebook page and Dad actually was on their commenting to people.  He was very respectful to them although many of them were calling him names and saying how stupid he was.  He posted that him and his DD had talked about it afterwards and that she agreed what she had done was very wrong.  He offered to let her post her own youtube, in response to his and say what she wanted and she declined, telling him she wasn't interested in doing that.  He said she was still grounded and lost most of her things in punishment and she was doing fine.  He also said that instead of embarrassing her she had become a celebrity at school among her friends and everyone was finding it hilarious, so that was probably why she took it so well.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

pam1

Pooh, that's good to know.  I was wondering how school was going to be for her.

I really don't have an opinion one way or the other on how Dad handled it.  It is interesting how this video has struck people though.  I've been reading comments on various articles and facebook and people are getting really heated!

For the record, I do think the daughters rant on facebook was awful.  Why not put it in a diary?  I don't understand why she put it out there at all. 

I guess I find the most interesting part on how Dad is going to deal with the fall out coming his way, sounds like he is handling it fairly well.

Pooh

I guess I am also kind of biased, being a country girl myself...Lol.  I don't know how to say this, because I don't want to generalize people (which is a no-no), so forgive me if this doesn't come out right and I'm not saying everyone is like this, just how I was raised for a few years.  The country people I know, handled things differently than City folk...Lol.  I've seen parents send their two huge sons out in the yard and tell them to settle their differences.  They would beat each other to a pulp until one of them gave and then get up and go inside and eat a fried apple pie together.  I've seen them settle arguements by having a drag race, winner gets the girl.

So watching him shoot that laptop reminded me of what we called "country justice". 
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Orly

The man laid out the consequences she would receive and then he followed up on promises made.....did the right parenting thing.  OOPs, guess Dad has a backbone and isn't afraid to use it.

constantmargaret

When I watched that, I could feel the guy's fury. I have been that furious too, but I just cry in my beer and make myself sick lying awake all night wondering where I went wrong. I think I like his style better. 

Oh, and I don't get the whole oversharing on FB thing either. I have discovered some pretty private stuff about my SDIL because she sends out mass messages, and I end up seeing all her friends' responses. I also really don't care that my husband's ex-wife's mother is about to pour another cup of coffee and go get her newspaper.

I opened an account because my DD asked me to so that I could see her photos and stay connected. I never dreamed it could become a problem for me but FB is how my own DS sent me the I-hate-you-and-want-nothing-to-do-with-you,-you-terrible-person letter. I signed up for that? I now have my own son hidden. How messed up is that? But then when my 2 daughters post pictures of their new babies taken that very day, well then, it makes it worth it.

Pen

I totally understand the dad's frustration and need to get his DD's attention. He's a gun guy, he chose a gun to make his point. He could have rolled over it w/ heavy equipment or taken a sledge hammer to it but he did it his way.

However, I would have confiscated the laptop (since the child hadn't paid for it herself it technically belonged to him) and donated it to a needy, appreciative student. Lord knows there are a lot of them. IMHO that would have been a better lesson.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

pam1

lol constantmargaret, I don't get those people either. 

Pen, that's a good idea.  Storing that tip away for the future :)