March 28, 2024, 01:40:58 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Keeping Your Sense of Humor

Started by Beth 2011, January 29, 2012, 08:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beth 2011

I don't know how everyone else feels but keeping my sense of humor has helped  me get through alot of stuff.  If I couldn't laugh, think I would have cried and still did from laughing so hard. 

Example: When my GF passed away everyone at the funeral home was crying their eyes out, me included until I said a commonly known phrase that he used say about our family and everyone just busted out in laughter in the family box....here we are just about the whole family and there were about 20 of us and we are sitting there in the funeral laughing and crying and choking like we have lost our minds.  But it helped us and my GF would have liked the fact that he caused a little ruckus.     

luise.volta

We did that at my eldest son's memorial, which was held in a private home. We played  a tape of him, his two grown sons and my younger son with their guitars, hamming it up with Beatles songs...and then we took turns telling stories on him that we all enjoyed. I hope if my family does anything when I pass...it will be to "roast" me with as much love.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

pam1

That is how a lot of our family funerals are too.  I really believe that saying that laughter is the best medicine.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

FAFE

January 29, 2012, 10:30:32 AM #3 Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:50:44 AM by luise.volta
When my sister passed away recently, we had a picture at the funeral home that was of 5 little girls, and the caption said "Girls just want to have fun."  I had found this and inserted our family name over the GJWTHF and then wrote each of our names over the little girls (there were 5 of us). My sister, who had dementia, loved it.  The funeral director said everyone should have something like that to relieve a little stress.  We had it set up right where you signed the visitation book.

luise.volta

FAFE

I think it should have been set up instead of sat up!  Wow, my English leaves a lot to be desired.

luise.volta

We all make typos and miss them when we preview out posts! Welcome to being human!  ;)

pam1

FAFE, I'll be the first to admit I'm not the greatest of writers.  Lots of typos, grammatical errors all over the place BUT since I got this new intern I do not feel so bad.  She writes in text speak!  What the heck are the teaching kids these days???

luise.volta

P - I get questions on www.MomResponds.com in textspeak and I have the darndest time with them.  :o

pam1

I just can't believe people would think that is an appropriate way to communicate in any sort of public setting.  Next time I put an ad out I probably will say text speakers not wanted LOL

elsieshaye

Quote from: pam1 on January 30, 2012, 07:26:22 AM
She writes in text speak!  What the heck are the teaching kids these days???

Pam, my boyfriend is 62, and he writes in text speak as well - he texts like other people breathe.  I was a non-texter until I realized I'd never hear from him otherwise, lol (he doesn't do email).  But, I refuse to use text speak - all of mine are completely spelled out!  *is stubborn* :)
This too shall pass.  All is well.

luise.volta

I do the same thing, E. When I answer those questions but I gotta' say sometimes I want to write:

Answer: Dear A.:  Mo 2 X Wt not 4 PX. Blessings, Luise

Beth 2011

Pen

Like vanity license plates -  "PNO2NR" was a clever one I saw recently.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

pam1

lol Elsie, does he do that at work too?  I guess it's ok between friends/acquaintances I'm just shocked that this kid didn't know it's inappropriate in a professional setting.

And yes, I text in full speak too!  I refuse text speak!