April 18, 2024, 10:56:25 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

I don't know how to feel about this

Started by somom, February 20, 2012, 11:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

I can help with this and be your mentor......take a frying pan.....apply with an even swinging motion to the back of the head.....SELF-ADVOCACY!  There....you're all trained.

That stinks.  Well, document everything.  Hostile workplace is a law and can be proven if need be.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

firelight

somom,

I think your DH may have felt caught in the middle.....on the other hand, he could have offered you 2 had to be somewhere when it started to get heated.

I have learned to be very careful about talking politics.  I used to get fired up about that stuff with others and enjoyed a good debate, but not anymore.  I can talk to certain people about it but I know what I think and can keep my opinions to myself especially when the conversation involves someone who loves to rant.....if we can't discuss our views without hositility, then I just don't.   I know that sometimes people's reaction take us off guard, which is why I'm really careful about who to discuss political topics in-depth with. 

He is still your BIL and will be around......so next time just avoid the political topic and act as if nothing ever happened and if he brings it up just say, "you know we can't talk politics (with a smile and a hug), we'll just have to agree to disagree on those subjects.......now who wants ice cream?"   ;)  then stick to it......you can still vote for the person who best represents your values and it is your right not to share whom you vote for if you choose that.

We're all human and have more in common than not, and I hope to focus more on that these days.   :)
Firelight

"When you allow life to flow... without struggle... your Soul is restored."   ~z2z~

Beth 2011

Somom,

It's called pick and choose your battles.  I had a FIL who was a bully to everyone all the time.  He constantly baited me where my DH and DC where concerned and I turned the other cheek not because I was weak but because my DH worked for him at the time along with my BIL's.  Well, the day came and my DH did not work for him any longer and when he started again.... I let him have it very calmly and with a smile.   You know what happened?  He was stunned and then he laughed and everyone else that had been holding their breath laughed too. I tell you one thing and that is we knew where one another was coming from, but I will also tell you I never turned my back on him again.