March 28, 2024, 03:33:51 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Household tips and tricks

Started by Doe, January 27, 2012, 08:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doe

January 27, 2012, 08:14:47 AM Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:35:08 AM by pam1
Quote from: pam1 on January 27, 2012, 07:58:21 AM
I That's how I usually find out my gems...like tea tree oil to wash the floors with....makes doggies stop peeing on it.  I would have never found that out before lol

ok, a little detour off topic:  what's the ratio for this?  Water to tea tree oil?  I have a Scottie who likes to lift his leg on occasion.

pam1

I don't have an exact measurement, I just pour probably about a tablespoon into the mop bucket.  I found a link that says a teaspoon to a gallon and they also had other uses for tea tree oil.  Love that stuff

http://plantsandoils.hubpages.com/hub/Tea-tree-oil---benefits--history-and-uses

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Doe

yay- thanks!

I read one woman's solution was to spray her Chanel No 5 around.  Since she was alpha, the dog wouldn't dare try to cover it.  Too bad I'm not alpha with these dogs and I don't wear perfume!

pam1

I'm not the alpha either :(  As much as I try, I don't pugs are receptive to pack leaders. 

Pen

...and have  you priced Chanel lately?? Good grief!

Tea tree oil is the bomb. We use it on DD's scalp (she's got an occasional dandruff problem.) And dogs have stopped peeing on her head, as well. LOL!

Smells sort of earthy-medicinal, some people can't handle it.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Beth 2011

Doe,

I have used enzymes and have had success with it.

Also, borax mixed with water is suppose to remove any odors so that the animals can't smell them either.

Doe

Hmm. I understand Borax, but enzymes?  Where do you buy enzymes?

Beth 2011

The enzymes can be purchased at a wholesale cleaning supply company.  I buy a gallon and it lasts me for 3-4 mos but I mop my whole house with it. The brand I have been using lately is called Surf-Cide.  There are many different brands and  Home Depot used to carry Enzymes, I haven't checked to see if they started carrying them again.   

Doe

Oh, thanks - I'll look into this!

Beth 2011

You're welcome, glad I could help. 

Now ? How do I get marker off my shirt sleeve?  It is cotton/blend.  Any ideas?  I tried alcohol only smeared it.

Pooh

Ok, with the tea tree oil, are we talking wood floors?  Tile?  Linoleum?  All the above?  Details ladies...details...LOL
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

pam1

Yes, I think you can pretty much use it on everything.  But if you have pets you do have to be careful with the ratio of the oil to water, it can be potent if it is not diluted enough.   Try that link, Pooh, it should tell you more.  I think you can even add some to your laundry. Personally the smell of tea tree oil is great to me

Pen

I like the smell of tea tree oil too, but DH can't stand it.

It's also great for athlete's foot, I just remembered.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

So if I use it on my floors, and mop with it while I'm barefoot, I can kill two birds with one tree?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

Use your head as a mop and get rid of dandruff too!
-- Annie Gottlieb