March 28, 2024, 03:38:25 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

I genuinely want to know what you think.

Started by 1Glitterati, December 16, 2010, 04:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willingtohelp

Just popping in and reading threads.  I got to this one and wanted to point something out.  Hospital property....which means the waiting room, etc...are private property, not public.  We can and do remove people for a variety of reasons. 

Also, in many hospitals, the maternity ward is being more and more heavily guarded due to a number of issues.  In our hospital, the maternity waiting room is behind a locked door and you must be on a "guest list" to wait there. 

I think that a PP hit the nail on the head when they discussed the more pressing issue to people in the waiting room....that they'll likely want updates and visits.  I agree that if you want to go, sit in a waiting room for 16 hours, and then go home, it won't disturb the mother.  But if you want to view the baby, hear the dad say that the baby's been born, visit the mom, etc, then this does disturb the patient.  Most babies room in now, so "seeing them through the nursery window" is becoming a thing of the past.  Wanting dad to update the waiting room means less time he's in the room with the new mom and baby and, if the updates are requested during labor, then dad is a distracted coach.  Wanting to visit after birth obviously disturbs the patient because you're going in her room.  So my question to you would be, if you're going to just sit in a room for 16 hours (or longer) and then go home with no interaction from the couple, why does it matter what day you do it?  The honest answer is that you *are* expecting *some* interaction from the couple.  And that's the part that is the real issue. 

On the books topic, I'm currently reading the Alchemist series.  It's written for teens, but I picked it up because I liked the cover and now I can't put them down. 

luise.volta

Well, I'll be darned! Hi, Clover! That was very informative. Thanks! How's your daughter doing? Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

willingtohelp

She's great.  I'm now part time so I get to see more of her than I did before.  I read here when she lets me have a break, so I'm around.  Having two hands available to type....that's a whole other story. 

luise.volta

Well, when you want to tell the whole other story, please do. It sounds like you must have been temporarily disabled? I have a soft spot in my heart for you and remember when I was just getting started with WWU and was monitoring it all alone that you told me I reminded you of your grand mother. I was so touched. You got off to such a rocky start here. Lots of water under the bridge since then. Years...

willingtohelp

Not disabled, just seems like I always have my hands full when I'm reading here (usually on my phone, now).  Somehow I went to part time and have even less time than I did when I was working full time.  I'm writing up my results, and I decided to use this time as a mini-sabbatical and work part time.  So I go into the office Monday and Tuesday and write, pass along the drafts to collegues to edit over Wednesday and Thursday, and then come in on Friday to make changes or compile other data.  It is only for a few months while I'm writing up, but it's nice to be able to spend more time with my LO and to recharge a bit. 

luise.volta

Wow...thanks for checking in. I miss you and I'm glad you still are able to touch base and read our site. Sending love...