April 19, 2024, 07:52:54 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

The Holidays

Started by tryingmybest, December 25, 2011, 06:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

Valentine stuff?Egads!!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

pam1

January 03, 2012, 04:24:54 PM #31 Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 04:26:54 PM by pam1
Quote from: luise.volta on January 03, 2012, 04:09:14 PM
Valentine stuff?Egads!!

I know!  I don't know why I'm shocked anymore, seems like holiday stuff comes out months in advance.  One of my goals sometimes is to stock up after each and every holiday -- those sale prices after Xmas were awesome, especially on the decorations.  If I could do it all over again I would celebrate Xmas a couple days late when DD was too young to understand! lol, but really it's amazing the day after the holiday all the mark downs.   One of these years I'm just going to bite the bullet and shell out money to start Xmas shopping the day after Xmas.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Ruth

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...another Christmas miracle!!!   My MIL sent me a recipe for potato candy, as I posted earlier about my grandmother Marmie always making it for us when we were little.  The earth teetered a little bit on its axis, but it was well received and after I picked myself up off the floor, I filed it away and am confident that I'm going to make it, - here's to you Marmie!  I love you and will eat it with you on the other shore!  And best of all, I won't wear it on my hips.

Pooh

Wow Ruth!  That is wonderful and exciting!  Now, you have to make it!

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Keys Girl

My mother used to say that "The Lord Works in Mysterious Ways"........I started looking on the internet for a Christmas destination for Dec. 2012, some place where I could hike in the outdoors and be away from every single Christmas light, carols and the other stressful stuff.  Within a few minutes I had found a small house for rent, in my budget, and with some of the most wonderful hiking trails a short distance away.  I contacted the landlord and it is not yet booked for Christmas, a previous potential tenant inquiry last week didn't follow up so the door is wide open for me.

I'm pinching myself.  I've contacted the landlord and expressed serious interest. 

Next Christmas..........something wonderful to look forward to...........and getting ready for it for the rest of 2012!!!

What are the odds that I could find something that I could afford and love so much and that it would be available for me to book??

Oh yes, sometimes the Lord does work in mysterious ways, but then again, I've got a bone to pick with him for the way that my relationship with my son has turned out so maybe this is his way of trying to make some small amends.  I'll take those amends.  :-)

"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry." Author Unknown

luise.volta

KG - your are doing such great inner work! I love the saying..."The harder I work...the "luckier" I get!  ;)

Pooh

That's awesome KG!  I totally believe that everything happenss for a reason!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Keys Girl

Thank you Luise and Pooh, it will be great to have something to look forward to if it pans out.

Rose799

Yep, you are one lucky girl, KG~  You walk the walk...love it!

Doe

Keys, you've inspired me to get some concrete plans for next Dec - thanks!

Pen

Good on ya, KG. So happy for you!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Keys Girl

I'm connecting with the landlord of the little house tonight to finalize the booking.......as it happens it is in an area where I have close friends that I haven't seen for more than a decade.  It's shaping up to become a Christmas reunion of sorts, the kind of event that I couldn't have imagined that I would put together and have it mushroom into a spot on my calendar that I would be circling with big red stars.  It is true, what you focus on expands and in this case I'm starting to get really excited about December 2012.  I never could have imagined that I would have another Christmas that I would look forward to with excitement and heady anticipation.

Does anyone remember the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" where Cathy Bates yells out "Towanda" when she's pounding down the walls in her little house while her husband looks on as if she's lost her mind?

Well, WW, "Towanda"......."TA DA!!"

Pooh

Hee Hee...love that movie!  "I'm older than you and have more insurance!"
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

KG - I am over here pounding and yelling..."You go, girl!" What a wonderful turn of events when you shifted your focus toward "that which you wanted to create." (A quote from a book my son published years ago.) Congratulations!!!  :D

Keys Girl

Thank you so much, Luise, it's a done deal!

I know I wouldn't be going without all your wise counsel over the last couple of years, I wouldn't have known how to move on in a positive direction, so I'll keep a little piece of you in my heart on the trails and as I get ready over the course of the next 11 months.