March 28, 2024, 07:34:26 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

MILs and Future MILs - what do you like to be called?

Started by pam1, December 21, 2011, 12:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam1

I'm fairly certain I've made a long time boo boo.  Just not sure how to rectify it, I grew up calling everyone Mr./Mrs.  So when DD (child from previous relationship met the in laws, she did the same.)  When we were engaged the parent in laws started referring to themselves as Grandma/Grandpa to DD, so that solved that.

It's also in my culture just to call the in laws Mom and Dad or whatever version of Mom and Dad they use.  However, my SILs firmly do not like this and stated so early on.  Since they were family I felt awkward calling them Mr./Mrs. so I call them Grandma and Grandpa.  (don't laugh at me! I didn't know what else to do!)

So, the other day I caught my MIL giving me a strange look when I called her Grandma, and it hit me like a ton of bricks....I've been probably insulting her for years.

What's your take?  And what would you prefer your children in law call you?
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

FAFE

Both my SIL and DIL call us Fafe and Granddaddy.  Fafe is a childhood nickname of mine and my daughter always said if she had children that is what they would call me, so here we are!

Doe

Scoop

I don't think my IL's like that I call them by their first names, but we're all grown-ups here.

Doe

It seems to be a matter of respect, isn't it?  What does the person want to be called?

DIL has a nickname.  Once, I addressed her with her other name (the name without the diminutive on the end)  and she called me down immediately, corrected me so I respected her wishes to address her as such.

When it came to naming me as a GM, I she wanted to call me something that depresses me and I asked for another name.  She couldn't say the name I wanted without starting to say the other name first.   

I think I've told this story enough  :P but all my plans are cancelled today because of the foot of snow outside with more coming!  I woke up to DH spinning his wheels in the driveway.  Shoveled him out, then shoveled out our car but the streets aren't plowed.  It's going to be a white Christmas here.

Pooh

I want a white Christmas!!!!! 

Pam, I went through stages.  I called my ILs Mr. and Mrs. while dating, until they told me one day I could call them by their first names.  After the kids, we called them Nanny and Papaw (the names they chose).

I never asked about the Nanny and Papaw, just did it and they didn't seem to mind.  If they had looked at me funny?  I probably would have said, "Oh I'm sorry.  Would you prefer I still call you by your first names?"

As far as myself, I have told all GFs, friends, the boys friends, etc. when they start off with Mrs. that they can call me my first name.

I guess I have never thought to be offended by either?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

pam1

Yeah, you are all right, I should have just asked what she would like.  Next time I will, even though it's going to be awwwwwkward LOL.  Brought it on myself I suppose though.

Pooh, that's what usually happens here too, people tell you what to call them.  So probably I was just waiting for the invitation to call them by their first name or whatever they would like.

Pooh

We have a saying around here at work.  "I'm sorry, my crystal ball isn't working today. Could you just tell me?"
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Beth 2011

Just call them by their first name.....you can tell her you weren't sure what she was comfortable with and just ask her if she wants you to call her by her name or Mom? 

pam1

I'm going to ask her, Beth.  Mom is out of the question, her daughters don't like it.

JudyJudyJudy

I like it when people ask me what I want to be called and then they call me that!

pam1

Ok, I asked her and she said whatever I want!  Maybe I misinterpreted her look when I said "grandma."  I don't know, give up lol.

Pooh

Maybe it just surprised her that you called her that?  Not that she cared that you did, but the look was based on the surprise factor?
Joseph Campbell

pam1

Maybe, I've been calling her that for years though lol.  It never occurred to me that it might be insulting b/c I was looking for a family name to call her since Mom was out.  I guess I'll just go the no name route "hey, you!" LOL

Pooh

Joseph Campbell