March 28, 2024, 09:29:12 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

One of the most beautiful things I've ever read.....

Started by 2chickiebaby, March 26, 2010, 03:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2chickiebaby

Humility and Appreciation

There was a blind girl who hated herself because she was blind. She  hated everyone, except her loving boyfriend. He was always there for her.

She told her boyfriend, 'If I could only see the world, I will marry you.' 
One day, someone donated a pair of eyes to her.
When the bandages came off, she was able to see everything, including her boyfriend.
He asked her, 'Now that you can see the world, will you marry me?'
The girl looked at her boyfriend  and saw that he was blind. The sight of his closed eyelids shocked her. She hadn't expected that. The thought of looking at them the rest of her life led her to refuse to marry him.

Her boyfriend left in tears and days later wrote a note to her saying: 'Take good care of your eyes, my dear, for before they were yours, they were mine.'

This is how the human brain often works when our status changes. Only a very few remember what life was like before, and who was always by their side in the most painful situations.

cocobars

Wow!  Where did you get this story!  This is profound and heartwrenching!  I'll be thinking about this all day!

2chickiebaby

A friend sent it to me and I think it touched my heart like no other.  It made me feel guilty in a way because I know that so many people have been placed in my life and somehow, when my circumstances changed, I forgot them.  I don't want to ever do that.

I hope I never leave anyone's life anything but richer when I leave.  God has been incredibly good to me, even though I often thinki He's forgotten me.  I have survived a lot but He has given me compassion in the wake of it. 

cocobars

That's the kind of story that really does make me think!  I have done that too.  I would be surprised if someone popped up and said, "I never have!"  I guess that's possible, but it is so profound!!

cremebrulee

Whew, Chickie, what a story..... :-[

wow....

I'm speechless....

Creme

cocobars

When we think we've been abandoned by God, it is usually when God is the closest to our hearts, because I believe that's when we are in the most pain.  I have noticed when I'm in pain like that, I don't see things.  Like in "Birds and Squirrels..."  I've started reminding myself of that thing that happened to me, so I can start watching, and know I haven't been abandoned, but I just feel that way.

Hope

Did everyone else draw in air when they read that story?  I'm with Coco - I'll be dwelling on it for a while.  Thanks, Chickie.

2chickiebaby

Hope, when I got this, the thing that stuck me was that it is so true!!  We take people for granted, the ones who are always there for us, standing firm with us all the way but when something changes, like our money situation or our station in life, we abandon them for greener pastures or worse, just kind of ignore them.   

I hope I never do that!!!  I know I'm guilty of taking someone for granted, though. 

Pen

My mom nursed my dad through many surgeries that saved his life after a plane crash. He was very dependent, only wanting her help. She ran herself ragged cooking special food and running it to the hospital, etc. etc., all while going to grad school and taking care of the homefront. After he came home he still needed help with everything from bathing to toileting. She became rather haggard and worn. As soon as he was healed, my dad left my mom.

This story of yours, Chickie, has really hit me today!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

cocobars

Penstamen I'm sorry!  I have a 2x4 now if you need one :D

2chickiebaby

cocobars

It is really, Pen.  I'm sorry I joked about it.  Things like that really aren't funny.  I hope your day got better...