March 28, 2024, 08:19:16 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

i am lost...

Started by stilltrying2010, December 15, 2011, 08:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stilltrying2010

i am feeling so lost recently... I am unsure where to go from here.  I am feeling so very sad.  I know that my DH family could give or take me.  I feel I am nothing unless they need something my DH isn't doing (info, to twist his arm, etc).  MIL openly speaks poorly about other DIL & all her brother's wives... if you didn't know better you would think these non-bio family members didn't exist. 

I could go on and on about petty twists, digs, thoughtlessness but it seems just that so petty.  I am trying to take the high road but it seems that this means I am left out of the loop when it comes to our DD.  I extend an olive branch & MIL takes the whole tree.  I am trying to cope with not having control but as her parent, shouldn't I have some control?  I am feeling incredible sad & selfish like I am putting my hurt feelings above my daughters relationship with my husbands family.  Although I am sure they love her in their family's way, they make no contact with her throughout the year except at gift giving / holiday time.  We dint want her to associate relatives with presents.  My husband has a strained relationship with his mom and virtually none with his sister (who is the favorite).  So when they (in MY opinion) overstep their bounds, take liberties without consulting us (the parents) I am filled with anger. 

SO between thanksgiving & Christmas there have been numerous incidents but the holiday season will culminate with us visiting (over new years).  I need a mantra to repeat over to calm myself and refocus - I need to accept that nothing they do physically harms my child (there is some emotional baggage, favoritism that deeply bothers me coming from MIL) but I am not sure what to do.  Currently I am infuriated, vent to my DH, and them swallow it.  Its not working for me!!!

I am so sad and tired of this.  I know that *I* have to change. I want to. I want to release this burden... I cant handle feeling this way and yet so far I have not been able to let it go.  I understand the concept but cant seem to put it into practice...     

pam1

Big Hugs, StillTrying.  I think a lot of us struggle with similar feelings here, no matter what side of the fence we're on.  It stinks.  The things that help me are to take my mind off of it, watch funny things, read books.  I love youtube, so many funny videos there.

On another note, as a parent you and DH do have the right to determine what is acceptable to bring into your daughters life.  From what I gather, you do not find it acceptable.  IMO, you have every right to change the dynamic to protect yourself and family.  Whatever it takes, peace is underrated.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Scoop

I understand the "death by a thousand papercuts" aspect.  I know that my MIL is an expert at skirting "the line", she would never cross it to an extent that she would warrant a cut-off and thus *I* have to put up with her.

You and DH are the final authority over your child.  If you don't like something, then remove yourself and your child from the situation.  Say "no" and mean it.  Be prepared to leave if things go south.  (That means that you have to have a PLAN, so, make sure you have keys and cash and you don't spread your stuff out to much when you're there.)  Be prepared to leave ON YOUR OWN if your DH doesn't want to.  In fact, I would recommend having a code word that means that YOUR personal comfort zone has been breached beyond measure and he'd better hop up and start packing because YOU and DD are leaving.

What particularly are you worried about?  If you give us examples, we can give you suggestions on ways to 'manage' the particular situation.

Other than that, you'll have to detach.  So they become "holiday" GP's. So what?  If that's all they want, that's all they'll get, and they will be the ones missing out, because that's not how meaningful relationships are forged.

Doe

Hi Stilltrying -

This may seem counterintuitive but maybe the MIL isn't the problem.  Have you considered starting over, and working from the inside out?

Simple things, like eating well, taking care of you body, getting out into the sunlight (especially this time of year), going for walks and keeping a look out for beauty and kindness can have a profound effect on a life.  I have a feeling this thing with your MIL is more a matter of perspective than anything else.

luise.volta

For me, it's focus. Where I put it is where my life plays out. It's pretty much what others have said here. We all have things and people that don't work for us. Things and people we don't like. There's no way around it...and if we focus there, we make things worse and add to our unhappiness. Not a good plan. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

stilltrying2010

pam1 I really needed to hear
Quoteyou have every right to change the dynamic to protect yourself and family.  Whatever it takes, peace is underrated
Scoop I literally just called a friend and unsed the EXACT phrase Death by a thousand papercuts... funny. Specifically for the upcoming visit MIL will exclude stepsiblings/their kids (who she raised & who she calls her grandchildren and maintain a relationship with us).  Her fav grandson(10) will be at all times pushed with our DD (6).  SHe will encourage them to play together & pump in only about these grandkids into my DDs head (Are you still taking dance? Well Jane takes dance blahblahblah about Jane, only asking my DD to introduce the topic but never TALKING getting to KNOW our DD.  Negative comments/comparisons about other grandkids in front of our DD.  Having cousins spend the night (last time wanted our DD then 4 1/2 to share bed with 8yrd old boy cousin, umm NO, she doesnt know him, opposite sex, not happening). Not having our kids all over their FB pages.

I guess I have no experience with "holiday GPs" (never thought of it like that, a helpful perspective).  I feel like we perpetuate a facade that its a close family when really talking only at holidays is not close.  It angers me that instead of trying to know our kids she would, imo, fake it; shower them with gifts, feed them favorite junk foods but that is all

Doe - You are SPOT ON with your suggestion.  And I actually agree that this thing with MIL is a matter of perspective. After years of experience I no longer wait to be sucked into her negative orbit I throw myself in!  I feel as though I am desperately trying to get her to like/accept/acknowledge me thus bending over backwards, trying to anticipate & account for her feelings only to get nothing in return.   I have to stop trying to get these from her as she is never going to give them.  I understand that she is indifferent towards me unless she needs something from me.  I can't just offer up my children to someone who disregards me...  is this selfish?  I give her consideration yet she offers none of the same courtesy... I don't want to punish her by withholding our kids but I don't want her to hurt them either.  I know I can't protect our kids from life's hurts but I don't want to subject intentionally them to them either... 

Thank you all so much for replying - I have gone from crying to thinking...

stilltrying2010

Just saw your post Luise & that grabs me - I am focusing there. Hmmm..
carry off holidays with them without focusing there.

Pooh

My question would be why are you going to visit this holiday?  Is it because DH wants to see his M and family?  Is it because you want DD to see them?  Or is it because you want to pacify MIL?  I think knowing why you are going with everything you shared, DH's strained relationship, how she makes you feel and how she treats DD, would help me understand why you are even going?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Doe

You know, my mom died when I was pregnant with my 2nd child. My DH only had his mom left and she was lost to dementia not long after #2 was born so my dad was the only GP that my kids had.

I was in an alternating state of fury and hurt as I saw him ignore my kids and fly over me to visit my sister and her son.  But every year, I drove 1000+ miles to see him because I wanted them to have had a GP experience.  I finally had my epiphany that helped me give it up (the fury/hurt) and just accept the situation for what it was.   He did come through with BD and Xmas gifts for them.

I'm telling you this because my sons are grown and they haven't suffered from the lack of an involved GP.  They write to him about once/yr.  DS invited him to a wedding (which he didn't go to, but then went to the cousin's wedding).  They found other adults in their lives besides DH and me who loved them and thought they were wonderful.

What I'm trying to say is that  all  this matters but it also doesn't have to matter.  If you can concentrate on making each day happy for yourself and DD and DH, you'll look back on a life well lived.  If you pour your attention into this bollix with your inlaws, I think you'll be more and more miserable. 

stilltrying2010

I actually asked DH to go to their area.  We live far away from both FOOs but they live an hour apart so when we go we see both.  I have 3 grandparents (95, 86 & 85) that we havnt seen in almost 2 yrs & we have a 6 mos old baby (who is taking a nap now).  We always split the time btwn both sides. 

THank you DOe for sharing that... I am still caught up inthe hurt.  We have lots of non-family invovled withour kids.  I almost wish they would be in or out versus just trying to take center stage at holidays/events.  That is the crux of my anger.  Nothing from them but then BAM Oh we love you then nothing... 

Pooh

I always drew the line where my kids were involved.  That's a biggie for me.  I didn't like my MIL, she didn't like me, but yet...she was good to my kids, so I took them all the time to see her.  I learned to let go of her drama and just nod alot.  If she was saying hurtful things in front of the kids or ignoring them when we were there, I wouldn't have went and told my DH he could go see her but we were going somewhere else. 

I respect the fact you are trying to keep DD in contact with her.  This doesn't have anything to do with a title to me.  If anyone was rude or hurtful to my kids, they wouldn't be around them.  What's the old saying, "I can say what I want about my kids, you can say what you want about me, but you don't get to say anything about my kids?"
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Sassy

QuoteI guess I have no experience with "holiday GPs" (never thought of it like that, a helpful perspective).  I feel like we perpetuate a facade that its a close family when really talking only at holidays is not close.  It angers me that instead of trying to know our kids she would, imo, fake it; shower them with gifts, feed them favorite junk foods but that is all

I almost wish they would be in or out versus just trying to take center stage at holidays/events.  That is the crux of my anger.  Nothing from them but then BAM Oh we love you then nothing... 

People give what they have to give.  It seems to me that your MIL gives your child exactly what it is she has to give her.  I know you want more from MIL for your DD, but as I see it, MIL doesn't have it to give.   

It sure would be handy at times, if we could determine how much other people should give, what they should talk about, how much affection they express, when they express it.  But I think life would also get boring fast, if we were supposed to give other people scripts and just have them follow it.   

I like the term "holiday grandparents" for perspective, too.  And you know what else?  I don't think it's bad for DD to have holiday grandparents.  I think it's just fine.  Her grandparents live far away.  DD doesn't miss what she never had with them. Holiday grandparents create fun memories, too.  Different than the kind of memories your FOO create with her, but with the cousins around and presents, I would bet just about anything that they're still good memories for her.

I also don't think you're putting on the facade of a close family.  I think you're partaking in exactly the kind of family holiday celebration DH's FOO has.  It is what it is. A holiday celebration with family. It's not a facade of something else.

Just offering some perspective, in the spirit of support.  Acceptance of what is, and not comparing what is to what I wish it was, has helped me tremendously.

Scoop

Sassy - I was going to say the same thing, that MIL doesn't have it IN her to give.  But then I realized, she DOES have it in her to give to SIL's kids.  It's not obvious to DD now, but it may become obvious that the OTHER cousins are the favourites.

StillTrying -  if you can't confront MIL about this, then you might have to put more distance between you.

I can also relate the fact that YOU're making an effort to visit them, when you could be spending that time with your loving, extended family, that you don't get to see very often, AND they're jerks.

Sassy

QuoteSassy - I was going to say the same thing, that MIL doesn't have it IN her to give.  But then I realized, she DOES have it in her to give to SIL's kids.  It's not obvious to DD now, but it may become obvious that the OTHER cousins are the favourites.

But it's still not in MIL to give.  For whatever the reason.  If MIL is closer to SIL than she is to DH, that would make a lot of sense why she has it in her to give more to them.  If the cousins live closer than DD, that would make sense, too.  I'm thinking MIL probably knows the cousins a lot better than she knows DD. 

I really do understand your concern about DD observing the others are "favorites."  It is certainly possible that DD may observe that others get more attention from one person during the once a year holiday party.  She may possibly observe that others get less attention than her (the stepchildren).  Will she care?  What do you imagine DD will actually want from that lady that she sees about once a year in a busy group setting.  Close conversation?  Lots of attention from some lady? I'm thinking DD will hope for presents, food, and not to be held up too long answering rote questions to keep her from playing with her cousins. 

Quote We don't want her to associate relatives with presents .

DD won't associate all relatives with presents.  There's lots of other people in her life to balance that picture out.  She will associate the holiday lady who all she gives is presents, with presents. 

Quote They make no contact with her throughout the year except at gift giving / holiday time. 

Will someone at this level of noninvolvement in DD's life cause damage or suffering to DD?  I trying to think of ways this could harm DD, and I am at a loss. 

Quote I am feeling incredible sad & selfish like I am putting my hurt feelings above my daughters relationship with my husbands family.

Maybe there's some wisdom in this.  Maybe the hurt feelings you do have, you think DD will have?  Despite the high probablity that DD's expectations for the "holiday grandparent" are not going to be anywhere close to what your expectations are for "loving and attentive grandmother".

I love Doe's story.  It's very sad for her.   But it is also one of acceptance and peace. And it shows how our own pain can become sort of projected by our fears for someone else's pain.  Her children did not suffer what she did.  She suffered for her children as a way of suffering for herself.  But her boys did not suffer.

QuoteMy husband has a strained relationship with his mom and virtually none with his sister (who is the favorite). 

QuoteI actually asked DH to go to their area.

I think this explains a lot of the problems with MIL:  DH has a strained relationship with his mom.  I don't think you having a better relationship with his parents than he has seems likely.  There's nothing solid for you to build on as a DIL.  DH doesn't initiate visits with his parents.  Maybe following his cues would be helpful for you.

Sassy

QuoteI extend an olive branch & MIL takes the whole tree.

I am trying to cope with not having control but as her parent, shouldn't I have some control?

So when they (in MY opinion) overstep their bounds, take liberties without consulting us (the parents) I am filled with anger.
I am not trying to parse the post, as this is not what this site is about.  But there's a few different things going on, in a few different posts, so I'm using what was said to show where I'm coming from.

I'm not clear what other liberties, or whole trees, MIL's tried to take.  But I do know the few I saw mentioned, have opportunities where limits can be set so they're simply not taken.   That might help in feeling more secure.  And way less angry.

QuoteNot having our kids all over their FB pages.

Nicely ask them to remove them and not put them up in the future.  If they won't remove them, upon request FB will remove photos of minors posted without their parents permission.

QuoteHaving cousins spend the night (last time wanted our DD then 4 1/2 to share bed with 8yrd old boy cousin, umm NO, she doesnt know him, opposite sex, not happening)

As a guest at someone's house, if she want to host other guests while you're planning to stay there too, this gets tricky.  To tell a host who else she may or may not have overnight, is not a guests place.  However, your place is to choose where you and your DD sleep.  So if you had accepted an invitation to stay overnight at MIL's, and later learned the accomodations are no longer what you thought they were, (no private beds, for example) then you may cheerfully give up your bed for her other guests, and brightly let them know you're staying at a local hotel instead.  Ask MIL if she'd like to join you for breakfast, upon which she may invite you to join her breakfast at her house instead.   

Perhaps there's a fear to set these kinds of limits, because by doing so, MIL will be even less pleased.   But...you are in control.  You do have a choice, and it's all yours to make. You can choose to maintain your limits, with kindness and dignity.  Or you can choose to bend or break some of them, as you wish. Perhaps in the hopes of gaining a bit more of MIL's ever-elusive approval?  But it's important not to lose sight of the simple fact that you do have total and complete control over what you choose

QuoteI feel as though I am desperately trying to get her to like/accept/acknowledge me thus bending over backwards, trying to anticipate & account for her feelings only to get nothing in return.

I heard a therapist say this last night on a reality show and I wrote it down: People have control over you, when you crave a response from them.