March 28, 2024, 02:03:31 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Help ME! I'm Drowning

Started by cocobars, March 12, 2010, 04:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cocobars

OK.  New problem.  My cousin calls from across the country.  She wants to come visit for a week - STARTING TOMORROW!

I'm taking care of everyone here and working.  My parents are elderly.  My son has problems.  The only healthy people in the house are my daughter and I.  My mother got the call - that they were leaving and would be here tomorrow.  I'm having a heart attack, my father is walking in circles, what can I do here?  We have nowhere to put them!  And, this is the clincher - they're broke! Or so my mother says.

Would I be rude to suggest they stay at a hotel nearby that is within walking distance of the "Metro station?"  They want to see the monument, capital, etc...

There's just no way we can "put them up."  This is a long story with this one - too long to tell...

2chickiebaby

Let Luise answer......I know you should tell them to stay in a hotel nearby.  I just can't bring myself to say it. 

If they're broke, how can they visit the monuments?  Are they free to visit? 

Just tell them that the parents aren't well and you are working and there's nowhere to put them.  What is wrong with that?

cocobars

Thanks Chickie!  I know what the "right" answer is, but my mother already told her to come.  And, you're right - there is nowhere her to put them.  There's a story attached to them.  My father's sister died and she was rich - LLLLLOOOOOOAAAAADDDDDDEEEEEDDDD!  They came an took all her money.  Had her sign papers giving them power of attorney.  Well, the money is gone spent.  Guess who's next.  My father is 91 years old.  We havent seen her in years - at least 20.  I can't help but think that (now that their broke after spending millions) there is a reason for the visit.  I think they're sniffing to see if the money smell is here too!  And to be honest with you she's not going to drive them (my parents) into an early grave like she did my aunt.  It aint happening.  I know realistically it's not early, but you know what I mean - I hope.

I don't know what to do.  I just paid off a credit card from doing real estate.  I think I'll use that and put them in a hotel.  I'm thinking.  This is one of those women who is "always" in your face too - draining...  She'll kill someone! 

Orly

Borrow a tent and a porta potty and put them up in the back yard....and get out the trusty length of lumber to keep them there.  Beggers can't be choosers now can they?

Orly

OK, ok, I have got to get a grip tonight.  That little left shoulder-riding devil is just chatting way to much.   You ladies have a good-night.

Marilyn

Coco,i was going to tell you i agreed with Chickie.Luise would probably give you the best advice.

But now i think Orly has just told you the best thing you can do!!!

cocobars

OMG!  I love that idea!  I'm sitting her worried about what this pirahna is coming for, and a tent would do it!  I don't think I could talk my mother into that though.  I think I'm paying for a hotel for a week! 

Orly!  I wish you were here right now!  I'm so worried about what she's up to!  All this money she got from my aunt is spent!  Gone. 

I could only wish a 2x4 would take care of this.  I don't think it will...

Mominwaiting, Chickie.  Thanks.  I think I really need Luise's advice right now.  I'm worried...

cocobars

Quote from: Orly on March 12, 2010, 05:45:07 PM
OK, ok, I have got to get a grip tonight.  That little left shoulder-riding devil is just chatting way to much.   You ladies have a good-night.
Orly, I have to tell you that your "left shoulder-riding devil" has a nice tone to his voice.  He's kinda cute too!   

Thank you for being her for me... :'(

Marilyn

Coco ,try not to worry,i know thats not easy.but i'm sure Luise will give you the best advice.

cocobars

March 12, 2010, 05:57:45 PM #9 Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:59:37 PM by cocobars
Thank you. I know you're right.  You know how you just get that "panic" feeling?  I'm trying to get over it.  The one I feel if I think someone's coming to kill my parents?  That one.  I know it's ridiculous, but it's there.  Thank you for understanding that.

Marilyn

I know Coco,and right now you dont need any more stress.

cocobars

Orly

Quote from: cocobars on March 12, 2010, 05:49:24 PM
Quote from: Orly on March 12, 2010, 05:45:07 PM
Orly, I have to tell you that your "left shoulder-riding devil" has a nice tone to his voice.  He's kinda cute too!   

Thank you for being her for me... :'(

Well, you may think he is kinda cute.....but it is MY shoulder he is drooling on!

cremebrulee

Sheesh Coco, I'm very sorry about this.  I don't understand people and why they think when they are broke, they can invade a household, b/c it's family.  I do know so many people like this.

Ok, first, I would talk to your mother and tell her to never ever do this again...years ago, people did this, all the time...and any relative was always welcome in my parents home, however, it was planned way ahead of time...so my mother could prepare.  This is so rude...and unthinking...

Second, If these people show up and don't have the money to stay in a motel/hotel, I would go out and purchase one of those blow up beds just in case...they are always good to have on hand anyway...

Coco, is this your home or your mother's home?

cocobars

This is my parent's home.  It's paid for and my father has money I think they are looking at.  I talked to my brother's last night.  Nobody's really excited about what my be coming, and we may be wrong.  I hope we are.

This is a cousin on my father's side.  They don't live here, but are across the country.  My Aunt, my father's sister, died with this huge battle going on around her over nothing more than "her money."  We've always kept on friendly terms with her and her sister, because we just didn't want to get involved in the fight that we had been hearing so much about.  My Aunt's husband died and she was living with one cousin who didn't have alot of money, but was taking good care of her.  Anyway, this cousin (who's coming here) has a sister who is an attorney.  They started moving in on my good cousin (GC) and talking to my aunt, who had alzheimers and really wasn't in the frame of mind to make decisions (like my father).  The rest of their family (his surviving sisters and GC) tried to hold their ground and keep her where she was and take care of her.  The attorney cousin (AC) went through the legal system and took over my Aunts estate, sold her house, her belongings, and took her into their house.  After about a year my aunt died.  They kept everthing she had left and her money, sending my father a small sum of money, but sent nothing to the rest of his family - because they had fought with her.  These women kept the money they got, and left my GC in poverty.  They kept the money.

I'm just numb today.  Hearing all the stuff that happened to the rest of his family and how they took over, has me really fearful.  I may have no reason for it, but I have to go by what I know and I'm not a fighter, nor am I an attorney.  I am not equipt to fight it out with these women if they take aim at my father.  I'm sick about this visit.

Why would she want to come visit a year after my father is diagnosed with alzeimers (the same thing his sister had).  We haven't seen her in  at least 20 years, maybe longer.  I'm afraid, and I hope you will all keep us in your prayers, and hope for the best.  I want to be wrong.  There is so much that I left out about my aunt.  I thought it was a nightmare for GC and his sisters.  GC is barely surviving, and is now taking care of her mother too who has memory problems (but no money).  It left them destitute.