April 19, 2024, 12:09:41 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Happy News

Started by Momma Cat, March 12, 2010, 02:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyn

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Momma Cat

ROFLOL!! ;D ;D ;D

Or maybe from the British having the stereotypical large buck teeth?  Kind of stretches the upper lip as tight as a drum....hmmmm.....now where did that saying come from?!  Or fit as a fiddle?  I feel a George Carlin skit coming on......

cocobars

We need a buck toothed smiley face!

And one with horns....

Thanks Orly!

luise.volta

Stiff Upper Lip
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One who has a stiff upper lip displays fortitude in the face of adversity, or exercises self-restraint in the expression of emotion. The phrase is most commonly heard as part of the idiom keep a stiff upper lip, and has traditionally been used to describe an attribute of (particularly upper middle and upper class) British people, who are sometimes perceived by other cultures as being reserved and brave. The idiom seems however of American origin; its earliest known example is in a publication called the "Massachusetts Spy" for 14 June 1815: "I kept a stiff upper lip, and bought [a] license to sell my goods."

cremebrulee

Quote from: Momma Cat on March 12, 2010, 05:12:05 PM
Thank you all for your well wishes and excellent advice.  I can feel the love you all are sending!  You are such special ladies!  I will keep my big mouth shut about his girlfriend, even if I have to bite my tongue off.  LOL.  She is still married to someone else, so she cannot legally marry son until she gets a divorce.  But I guess that really doesn't matter because she might as well be my DIL.  Hopefully, the miracle I have been desperately wishing for is happening and our son will be back in our lives.  Will let you know how the visit went.  Big hugs to all.  Momma

My cousin once told me, that she had problems with her DIL at first...and perhaps this story will help you...

She told me, she wasn't going to take any chances of loosing touch with her son and someday GC, therefore, she bit her lip, and zipped it...she also explained to me that we all perceive situations differently...due to the way we were raised...so, once in a while, two souls will clash, however, when we swallow our pride, and put a foot forward, realizing, our sons are ready to embark on a whole new life, without us...kinda like us mom's are the robins, pushing our bood out of the nest...we must let go...things will never be the same, and we must realize, that is also our time, to continue evolving...moving forward, learning and experiencing...

We cannot base our happiness on our husbands, children, family and friends...while we are a social beed, we must continue forward on our journey to grow...and when our children leave home, it is our time to grow. 

I know with my own DIL, we both made mistakes...however, when I started facing what I did, and forgot about what she did, is when I started to grow...pride is our own worse enemy, and when a person tells us another perspective, we tend to offend easily...when we can drop that and remain nutral, is when we learn so much about ourselves which in turns feeds up so much perspective on others...

cremebrulee

Quote from: luise.volta on March 13, 2010, 08:12:09 PM
Stiff Upper Lip
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One who has a stiff upper lip displays fortitude in the face of adversity, or exercises self-restraint in the expression of emotion. The phrase is most commonly heard as part of the idiom keep a stiff upper lip, and has traditionally been used to describe an attribute of (particularly upper middle and upper class) British people, who are sometimes perceived by other cultures as being reserved and brave. The idiom seems however of American origin; its earliest known example is in a publication called the "Massachusetts Spy" for 14 June 1815: "I kept a stiff upper lip, and bought [a] license to sell my goods."

LOL...very interesting...thank you Luise...

cocobars

MommaCat,  I hope all goes well!  I hope you will come back through and keep us updated too!  We love happy news and I think yours is going to be wonderful!

I hope you're smiling...

Momma Cat

It was wonderful seeing DS again, but I am taking it just one day at a time.  We took the first step and I guess now it's up to DS and whether he can be strong enough to withstand DIL's manipulation.  We'll see.  Hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst should it happen.  A few good things came out of this.  1.  We are stronger than we ever dreamed we were.  2.  Husband and I are closer than we ever have been (and we thought we couldn't get any closer).  3.  Son has definitely good core values, and we are proud of that.  4.  I found you wonderful ladies.  Love and hugs to all.  Momma

luise.volta

upsadaisy

Hi Newbie here - stiff upper lip  - not to show your emotions  however you feel on the inside  very differcult but sometimes the only plan of action ! 

Wish this would work on daughters   tried on more than one occassion to contact but find it so differecult

Still read a lot of the posts and one gave me some real good advice  take it one day at a time learn to live your own life and always keep the door and your arms open

thank you girls  your really helping me  I have a wonderful husband who I adore  a wonderful son and daughter in law  (how I wish she could have been my daughter she is so thoughtful I feel blessed to have them and grandaughter who we are allowed to see whenever we want  only wish they lived a little closer

Hugs to you all 

cocobars

Quote from: Momma Cat on March 14, 2010, 08:29:38 PM
It was wonderful seeing DS again, but I am taking it just one day at a time.  We took the first step and I guess now it's up to DS and whether he can be strong enough to withstand DIL's manipulation.  We'll see.  Hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst should it happen.  A few good things came out of this.  1.  We are stronger than we ever dreamed we were.  2.  Husband and I are closer than we ever have been (and we thought we couldn't get any closer).  3.  Son has definitely good core values, and we are proud of that.  4.  I found you wonderful ladies.  Love and hugs to all.  Momma

MommaCat, I'm happy for you and I can tell you feel much more optimistic!  Congratulations, and enjoy the ride!! ;D

Hope

Quote from: Momma Cat on March 12, 2010, 02:19:04 PM
My son called today and we spoke for a couple of hours!  He told me he didn't want us out of his life, that we had been through too much together and he loved us too much.  Oh, I think I'm going to cry.  He agreed that GD needs us in her life too.   I am crying tears of joy now.  He's coming over tomorrow to see us!  Oh, I hope he brings our granddaughter!

Any advice from you wise, intelligent ladies will be appreciated.  I don't want to do anything to push him away.  I never thought this day would come!!   Hugs,  Momma
Momma - Congratulations!  Keep positive and feel everyone's love.
Big Hug, Hope