March 28, 2024, 01:47:59 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Who will be alone for Christmas Eve/Day (maybe w dh only if one is fortunate!)?

Started by justanoldgrandma, December 09, 2011, 07:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justanoldgrandma

We don't have any relatives, friends, places to serve dinner or our dss and families w us on Christmas or Eve or even close to it.  No one...... but am fortunate to have dh I get along with well!  Eve and Day are very, very lonely..... I hate to leave dh to go to church by myself (he won't go....); otherwise I'd be there.

Begonia, you are starting a thread on what to do when alone on Christmas?  If so, I'll quit this one!

In the meantime, anyone else have no one (maybe a dh) but no other relative, friend, etc., for Christmas?  What do you do to celebrate the day?

Doe

Last year DH was out of town so DS and I went to a movie on Christmas Day.  We had a great day.
I started a tradition of going to a local Chinese restaurant on Christmas Eve and that's fun for me but that's probably not what you're looking for...

pam1

What about rocking babies at a nearby hospital?  DD wants to do that this year, after her stint in the Childrens hospital she wondered what happened to the kids who have to be there for a longer time and wants to visit on Xmas.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

FAFE

We may or may not have anyone here with us on Christmas Eve.  MS is driving from MO on that day and not sure what time he will make it.  We haven't really had a Christmas Eve tradition since all the kids left home.  It's hit or miss and DH and I will probably be getting ready for Christmas Day with his family.  When OS and his family gets her (they're leaving IL Sunday after church), we will celebrate with our 3 kids and GC. 

I don't remember the details, but I do remember DH and I eating lunch at Waffle House one Christmas Day!  Maybe we were celebrating at dinner that time.  That's part of the beauty of getting older, you do forget some stuff here and there. 

lancaster lady

do you have any neighbours you can invite in for pre dinner drinks ?
goes back to my youth when all doors were open Christmas Day , and everyone was welcome .
how times change .

Begonia

JAOG:  Keep this thread going...looks good to me. 

And just today I found out that DS cancelled the plans for our family gathering right after Christmas so now I won't see any family.  Not sure what I will do, just feel sad right now.  It's not like I am not used to being alone but it's worse when someone cancels the plans.  I am going on a trip after New Years so will keep busy packing for that.  And I will spend some time driving around looking at lights, that is always fun. 
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift (Eleanor Roosevelt)

FAFE

Begonia, you can come to GA and have a crazy Christmas here with our family.  We'd love to have you! 

Begonia

FAFE:  You brightened my day, thank you so much.  GA is such a beautiful place!  I'll be tucked away here with (hopefully) a white Christmas, but I appreciate your invite...true southern hospitality...Hugs to you!
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift (Eleanor Roosevelt)

justanoldgrandma

Quote from: Begonia on December 09, 2011, 03:29:23 PM

And just today I found out that DS cancelled the plans for our family gathering right after Christmas so now I won't see any family.  Not sure what I will do, just feel sad right now.  It's not like I am not used to being alone but it's worse when someone cancels the plans.  I am going on a trip after New Years so will keep busy packing for that.  And I will spend some time driving around looking at lights, that is always fun.

Wow, Begonia, that's so ...... unthinkable about ds cancelling the plans; hope he had some explanation; but whatever, it hurts, I know.  I'm so glad you have a trip after N.Year's and also going to look at the lights.  If they aren't going to show up, maybe next year you can just make plans for Christmas itself; (I think dh and I will do that!)  At least you have some time to make some plans to enjoy yourself or pamper yourself for this Christmas....

I am worn out w 2 pre-Christmas dinners/visits (in fact, have been running/entertaining since.....? October?!) I could stay in my jammies till February!  The pre-dinners were held early bc the "Others" (that sounds so mean!) have permanent dibs on Christmas itself.  I feel like Christmas is over.

DH is talking going to spend around Christmas w his relatives, hours away.....inconvenient and all in flux there..... I like them but don't want to go now; everyone is rather in an uproar there now with divorces, movings, no spirit to celebrate; but the more I say I'm worn out the more insistent he becomes; so won't talk about it anymore; just need some r and r from the tension.........maybe later after the laundry is done!

LL, you suggested an open house for neighbors...... well, our neighbors who are home (most aren't or are w family) don't gell...... but one appeared w goodies this a.m. and she's staying home; so am thinking a little afternoon eggnog and music on Christmas Day (inviting her) would be just the ticket!