March 28, 2024, 12:04:24 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

83 and Counting

Started by luise.volta, March 09, 2010, 07:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

To celebrate my birthday and the last year, I am sharing a newspaper article about me that was published in late Fall:

Stanwood/Camano News, Tuesday, October 20, 2000
Local Senor Expands Volunteer Service through The Internet
By Adam Stewart, Staff Reporter

For Stanwood resident, Luise Volta, volunteering is a way to find her identity, build self-worth and avoid loneliness.
      She gives her time to open new doors and create lasting relationships.
      "We live in a two-way world instead of a self-absorbed world," she said.
      Volta describes a self-absorbed world as defeating.
      "Unless you're really fascinating," she chuckled.
      Drawing on her sense of humor, complimented by her infectious laughter and sincere smile, the 82 year-old Volta has been finding herself, and opening doors for others at the Warm Beach Senior Community for the past nine years.
      She has assisted in a variety of tasks from interviewing new residents and writing for the community's publications, to working at the nursing reception desk and serving as a member of the Snohomish County Council on Aging.
      In September, Volta was recognized as one of seven seniors, the Foss Home and Village Foundation, a non-profit organization based in Seattle, for contributions to her community during their Senior Appreciation event.
      Although she has enjoyed assisting at Warm Beach, circumstances with the health of her husband, Val, have forced her to find new volunteering outlets and redefine her sense of community.
      When you come to a fork in the road, there are more options than one right decision or one wrong decision, she said.
      She is starting to realize that her newest path was blazed 10 years ago when her son, Kirk, set up a computer in her home when he was preparing to move to Hawaii.
      "He told me our communication was being forced to a new level," she said. "He was pretty ruthless telling me, 'You're smart, Mom. Figure it out."
     And figure it out she did.
      Not only has Volta established and maintained, with the help of her son, a question and answer advice column Web site, she has recently been selected as a 2009 Local Hero by the Bank of America Charitable Foundation's Neighborhood Excellence Initiative (not limited to seniors) for her online efforts.
     Launched on Mother's Day in 2005, www.MomResponds.com started as an outlet to engage discussion on the process of aging wisely, said Volta.
      Over 1000 questions, 1,400 published comments and 100,000 yearly unique visitors later, the site covers topics ranging from marriage issues, dealing with in-laws, facing the death of a loved one, nutrition, spirituality and even, recreational vehicle advice   - a subject she and her husband have plenty of knowledge about after touring the United States and Canada for six years upon retirement.
      Working online has transformed the way she gives her time. It provides her a vehicle to continue volunteering while staying at home to care for her husband.
      "I've been an excellent listener all my life, a Natural,"  said Volta.
       She senses the need to be heard has always been part of life, a contributing factor to the growth of her site.
      Despite the fact that she is not a licensed counselor, the responses she provides come from a wealth of experiences.
      " The goal has always been to give sincere responses from a mom's perspective, she said. "It's very satisfying to receive questions from people all over the world and be able to offer positive advice."
      Volta sees recognition from Bank of America as a "huge honor."
      In addition to participating in the awards ceremony on October 27 at Marion McCaw Hall in Seattle, Volta has accepted a $5,000.donation from Bank of America to give to a non-profit organization. She has decided to award the donation to the Good Samaritan Fund at Warm Beach Senior Community.
      "I am grateful to be able to funnel money back into my community," said Volta.
      The Good Samaritan Fund was established to help Warm Beach residents in time of financial crisis.
      By expanding into the online community, Volta discovered a way to reach the satisfaction she found through local volunteering.
      Inspired by her success with MomResponds.com, Volta has created another successful, special interest Web forum, www.motherinlawsunite.com. She also has www.vintagervforum.com and www.agingwithwisdom in the hopper.
      "I'm finding the Web to be a never-ending and exciting adventure and just for fun, I'm writing a book about aging" she laughed.   

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

2chickiebaby

Dear Luise,
We, your children, are so proud of you and your accomplishments.  Such wisdom can only come with a heart open to receive it.  Many congratulations on your wonderful birthday.

You're still tickin after all these years and going strong.  Remember that old Timex commercial..."takes a lickin and keeps on tickin"

That's you!!! :)

cremebrulee

Wow Luise...very outstanding...congratulations on much success....I'm so proud of you, and thank you for sharing!

Marilyn

Luise,your a very remarkable,exceptional lady!You have such a big heart,and have touched so many lives.I am so proud to know you,and your a great inspiration to all.

Hoping for many, many more years of being e-friends through WWU.

renny97

Girl, You SURE did,"figure it out"! You have given back to so many. That is inspirational. Happy Birthday!

cocobars

Very impressive, Luise!  Thanks for sharing that with everyone, and happy birthday!

Pen

You are a remarkable woman, Luise Volta. Happy Birthday!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

RedRose

We are all lucky to have you in our lives Luise.

Happy Birthday

cocobars

March 10, 2010, 06:39:02 PM #8 Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 06:42:10 PM by cocobars
So, what did you do for your birthday?  Did you get to eat out and get spoiled?  I hope you did!  What did you get Val get you this year (no that's not mis-written)?  Somethin good I bet!  Those are always the best gifts and I kind of like them too!

I don't think I ever mentioned that my birthday is on Christmas day.  So with that in mind, I've learned that I make my own birthday cake for everyone, and I get the most wonderful gift from me to the family to me too!  And I agree with you, it's ALWAYS something I personally like! I never have to return it or sell it or give it away...

Happy Birthday Luise!  For the whole month! - and I would bet Kirk agrees with this wise decision!   :)

momX3

That was a wonderful article that was published.
You are an inspiration and mentor for all of us.
Happy belated birthday to you.

luise.volta

That article marked the high points of the year and I wanted to share it with all of you, since you are all involved! :)

Val, at 98, was unable to hold onto the idea that it was my birthday.. I got myself a small electric frying pan from him but he couldn't remember that, either.

This is hard...but at least we're still together.

No party with my extended family like we usually do because of Val's fatigue and confusion. Very different this year. However, I was buried in flowers, cards, gifts and calls...bless everyone's hearts.

Kirk took me to breakfast. Just the two of us because I couldn't bear to have a party without Val. We got back home before he even woke up. (He sleeps about 18 hours a day.)

2chickiebaby

Happy Birthday again. Luise.  You have gotten to celebrate it since the 5th. I thought that was when it was.  I'm glad you had a good day and especially that Kirk and you went to breakfast.  That's the greatest!!

luise.volta

Chickie - Thank you dear friend. It was fun to celebrate my birthday here with all of you! A lady at my campus Care giver's Support Group said, "You are *only* 83? Wow! I'm ten years older than you are! You're just a kid!!  ;D ;D

cocobars

Take care Luise.  I'm happy Kirk is there with you and can help!

I've heard my mother say things like that to her friends about their ages, and I'm always taken back laughing.  They must think I'm an infant!  ;D ;D

Thought about you all day...

Barbie

What a wonderful article, something to be very proud of. Congratulations!