March 28, 2024, 12:47:05 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Epithany or "Ah-Ha"

Started by renny97, March 07, 2010, 11:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cremebrulee

Quote from: Anna on March 09, 2010, 05:08:47 AM
Funny, several friends & I sang I Am Woman at a community get together years ago, karaoke style !! ;D

Get out!!!!  I would have loved to hear you sing!!!! 

renny97

March 09, 2010, 12:15:54 PM #16 Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:40:19 PM by renny97
Thanks, MIW. WIP coming right along.....

It came down to my OGD (my lowest moment when she began getting mouthy, too) She is NOT going to see a wimpy grandma! And, mommy is not going to talk mean to grandma anymore!!!!! Grandma, is NOT scraps.

That was my "wake up." If son is fooled, that is HIS problem. If he wants to disown his mother, I will not go cowering. I look back, even now, and wondered "what was I thinking"?

I think once the fear was gone and estranged relations anyway, what more could they do to me?

2chickiebaby

I envy you, Renny.  I am thrilled that you came to this.

cocobars

Quote from: renny97 on March 07, 2010, 04:01:49 PM
This is my POWER SURGE. That is my name for these "moments." (not hormones anymore..lol) But, I need to stick up for myself, if none will.

Oh!  Is that what you call them?   HAHAHA!! 

It's ok.  As long as no light bulbs get blown!  Renny, you are too funny and I'm going to keep reading your posts!

jkm426

I am a strong woman too.  If my son wants to cowtow to his DF, go ahead.  For me, I am not marrying her and I have no intention of cowering some corner to keep her happy.  Either my son can be a big boy and stand up for himself or not.  Not my problem.
As for for future grandkids....well I already have three and I will not be held hostage on the whim of this girl.  You cut me off from the grandkids, don't ask me for ANYTHING( including babysitting)when it suits you.
My FDIL is already making these noises and they are not even contemplating children for several years.  Comments like "I hope you know you will see/indulge/treat my children like you do your others."  My response "Well, your kids will miss out on a great Nonna.  It will be sad for them."
I don't HAVE to take mess from anyone.  Yeah, just a few weeks short of 50, I am woman hear me roar......

renny97

I agree, JK.

You chose a good word for all this-----"held hostage." That is exactly what it is!!! Good point!~!

Time to break freeeeee!

I "loooooove" DIL threats! Or, "jokes" as son calls em! She must've had a good laugh all these
years! Well, this "grandma" ain't gonna be blackmailed anymore". Meeeeeeeowwww!

It is horrible to say, but, "it used to be worth it." But, if I am the only one "fightin" for rights, I am
truly outnumbered. But, I won't give up rights to my dignity.

Pen

Eleanor Roosevelt said "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

renny97

March 11, 2010, 08:13:00 AM #22 Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:22:58 AM by renny97
Pent,
I had to live that hard lesson. I've heard that quote before. I also, used to keep in mind, Dr.Phil's
"Ya teach people how to treat ya." (similar)

I was silly, to think that my love or efforts would "somehow" matter. It is truly no match for
DYSfunction. That is what "hung me up" for soooooooo loooooong. It is like a DIL's family has a
disease. There is no rationalizing. After so much soul-searching, it is really quite simple---to me (not easy).

(Something is going on with text "wrap-around" function? I have to use hard-return?)

renny97

I have an idea! How about a line of T-shirts for GPs? "Dysfunctional In-laws Rule!"

We could wear em, if they ever visit? LOL!

Any other ideas! Not saying it is realistic, but it might make quite the "fashion statement" at the
next gathering! LOL.  ;)

"Invisible GP"!? Disclaimer, "If you see me, it is just an illusion." Hey, this if fun!

luise.volta

I love the word  "unite." What strength we are all finding in that!

And the comment that it's "simple but not easy" is so wise. It's simple and very clear that we need to stand and be counted...but most of us have no training in how to do that...so it's not easy. I celebrate every woman here and our commitment to move forward.

"United we stand," is a good one, too. We are giving each other what we haven't been able to find elsewhere...support and understanding. Solidarity.  ;D

Roar!  >:( Hear that? I may be 83, but I am learning how to roar! It's never too late! I don't roar at others...I just roar for the pure fun of it!!!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

2chickiebaby

roar back at ya, Luise.....little bitty, tiny roar.  I'm not there yet but still trying.

luise.volta

T-shirts! Yes!  ;D

How about: "Grandmother for Rent: relatives need not apply!"

luise.volta

Yes, Chickie....practice, practice, practice! I am going to look in the mirror and roar! I may just scare myself!  ;D ;D ;D

2chickiebaby

luise.volta

Repeat after me: Meeeeeeooooo -oooooooooaaaaarrrrrrrr!! Yes!