March 28, 2024, 04:45:00 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Love is Patient

Started by Hope, September 18, 2010, 10:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

Makes sense to me. "The Squeaky Wheel Syndrome?"
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

That's a good way to put it! 

I personally know that 3 times over the last 2 weeks, my DS and DIL have been to her Mothers for dinner, whereas I have not heard from him since June.  So it just dawned on me, that my DIL probably doesn't give him the option of going because her Mother probably doesn't give her the option.   

I'm not saying that we should start forcing them.  I don't want to ever do that, cause I wouldn't want it done to me.  Just got me thinking when Hope said her DS was not happy about his MIL being there overnight again.  Sounds like he didn't get a vote.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

I'm sure he didn't. Good point...

Hope

Pooh, I agree with your analysis.  I think our dils' dms' probably do push their agenda, but if we tried to do that our ds's would have to listen to all the gripes and we would be picked apart.  I still think the distance thing is best for me - and hopefully after time passes and my ds notices that I haven't initiated any contact, maybe he will.  Just maybe.  He probably doesn't notice much, b/c my dh is my ds's boss.  They see each other pretty regularly - but not every day.  My ds is out in the field, my dh in the office.  My dh tries to keep it all business at work.  Maybe my ds feels that when he sees his dad, it counts for me, too.  A lot of good that does me - lol.  I did mention to my ds at our gs's christening this past Sunday that we don't want to cause him or our dil tension and our inactivity does not mean that we don't care - we just don't want to be a burden.  Pooh - I think you hit it dead on.  Do you think we are earning any points in heaven?  I sure hope so.
Hugs, Hope

Nana

Yes Pooh and Hope....you sure are gaining points in heaven.....and also an ulcer on earth.  lol

No really....No good deed goes without a compensation.  No bad deed goes unpunished.

I wish you all ladies good luck

Love
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

Hope

Nana,
I love you!  Thanks for the laugh, "and also an ulcer on earth".  You are so funny  ;D.
Hugs to all you friends, Hope

Pooh

Isn't it funny how you can read someone's post and a light bulb goes off sometimes?  Not that I am right, just gave me a totally different perspective to think about. 

Nana, thanks for the laugh.

Hope, maybe we should all have superman-like costumes emblazoned with a giant WWU across the chest.....dun...dun...dun!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Hope

Quote from: Anna on September 24, 2010, 05:39:18 AM
Hope, so glad to see you back!!  I have to say that you helped give me hope with the situation with my dil.  I'm sorry that you can't just enjoy your new gs like you should be able too.  The ladies here have given such good advice I don't have much to add.  Things with my dil & I have been much better lately, & I have to say that changing my expectations has helped a lot.  You are doing such a good job with your dil, you are a great mil.  Chin-up.  I think that with time things will be fine!!  Sending (((((hugs))))).     Anna.
Thanks, Anna.  You are a sweatheart.  I'm so happy to know that things have improved with your dil - you really deserve the best.  Thanks for the encouragement and hugs.  They felt good.
Hugs, Hope

Hope

Quote from: Pooh on September 24, 2010, 05:46:18 AM
Isn't it funny how you can read someone's post and a light bulb goes off sometimes?  Not that I am right, just gave me a totally different perspective to think about. 

Nana, thanks for the laugh.

Hope, maybe we should all have superman-like costumes emblazoned with a giant WWU across the chest.....dun...dun...dun!
Pooh,
I really like that - WWU super heroes!  We are all super heroes in my book.
I'll try to keep my hugs from crushing you all with my superhuman strength! 
Hope

luise.volta

Oh, I want one of those shirts!!!  8)