March 28, 2024, 01:48:59 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

My life with my husband's family

Started by 2chickiebaby, March 02, 2010, 08:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2chickiebaby

When I was a young bride, dumb as a stump...my husband's aunt always made him a cherry pie for his birthday.  It was yum.  She gave it to him the first year we married and we ate it in record time. :) :)

I washed the plate and put it in the cabinet, really not thinking about it again.  I do have manners but at the time, I was busy. *you know*...newly married?

Months passed and we went to a relative's of his funeral.  At the cemetary, up comes his aunt.  I said to her, "Hi Aunt *****!!"

She said to me, real loud and real mean..."do you know why your husband doesn't get cherry pies anymore for his birthday?"

I was intrigued since I hadn't given it another thought.  "No, why?"

"BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T RETURN MY PIE PLATE!!!!!!!!!!!"

I was shocked...and I cried but since my husband was not in hearing, I decided to not tell him.  She never spoke to me again.  I just loved her too.

The Pyrex pie plate probably cost about $2.00 but that wasn't the point.  I should have returned it but I was so busy "entertaining my new husband", I didn't.

Later I dreamed of sending a truck load of pie plates by the hundreds to her house and having them placed in her yard.  I still dream of it but wouldn't you know it?  She died. Drats!!! ;D